Non-standard ROS-generating combination “theraphthal–ascorbic acid” in low-temperature transformations of carbon allotropes
Multi-wall carbon nanotubes and graphite are relatively stable carbon allotropes, which could be solubilized and/or unfolded by a series of physical and chemical methods. Here, we present a low-temperature formation of several nanocarbons starting from these precursors, such as nano-onions, graphene sheets, and carbon nanoribbons. The experiments were carried out under ultrasonic treatment of aqueous systems “carbon allotrope − theraphthal − ascorbic acid” at various ratios and concentrations. Resulting nanocarbons were studied by scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, XPS, FTIR, and Raman spectroscopy. Based on the experimental results, the mechanisms for carbon nanotube unfolding and separation of graphite layers were proposed. These reactions are based on the formation of reactive oxygen species by theraphthal in ultrasonic conditions and their further interaction with carbon precursors. These transformations can be considered as greener methods for obtaining nanocarbons.
KeywordsNanoonions Nanoribbons Graphene MWCNTs Theraphthal Electron microscopy
The authors are grateful to Dr. O. L. Kaliya and Dr. E. A. Lukyanets (NIOPIK, Russia) for supplying the commercially fabricated TP, to Dr. A. L. Nikolaev (Moscow State University, Russia) and Dr. H. V. Rasika Dias (The University of Texas at Arlington, USA) for valuable suggestions and useful comments in the interpretation of results, as well as to Dr. Jiang Jiechao and Mr. Dajing Yan in the Characterization Center for Materials and Biology at the University of Texas at Arlington (USA) for the help on Raman measurements.
- Andronova NV, Bozhevolnov VE, Gopin AV, et al (2009) Method for pressing tumor growth. Patent RF 2375090. https://www.docme.ru/doc/2687227/patent-rf-2375090. Accessed 6 Aug 2018
- Cong F, Wang X, Gao G, Du X et al (2011) Facile synthesis of a water-soluble cobalt phthalocyanine derivative. Asian J Chem. 23(2): 645-648. http://www.asianjournalofchemistry.co.in/user/journal/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleID=23_2_41. Accessed 6 Aug 2018
- Echegoyen L, Ortiz A, Chaur MN, Palkar AJ (2010) Carbon nano onions. In: Akasaka T, Wudl F, Nagase S (eds) Chemistry of Nanocarbons. Wiley, Chichester, pp 463–483. https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Chemistry+of+Nanocarbons-p-9780470721957. Accessed 6 Aug 2018
- Feofanov AV, Grichine AI, Shitova LA, Karmakova TA, Yakubovskaya RI, Egret-Charlier M, Vigny P (2000) Confocal Raman microspectroscopy and imaging study of theraphthal in living cancer cells. Biophys J 78:499–512. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3495(00)76612-4 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Girenko EG, Borisenkova SA, Kalija OL (2002) Oxygenation of ascorbic acid in the presence of metal phthalocyanines (chemical aspects of catalytic therapy of cancer. Topic 1. Catalysis of oxygenation by phthalocyanine Co, Academy of science news). Chem Ser 7:1137–1142. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020900529609 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guo Z-W, Gu Y-Y, Zhou S-L, Ren C-H (2011) Hydroxylation of benzene catalyzed by supported phthalocyanine catalysts. Adv Mater 233(2):1575–1580. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.233-235.1575 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kharissova OV, Kharisov BI (2017) Solubilization and dispersion of carbon nanotubes. Springer, New York. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-62950-6
- Kimura M, Yamaguchi Y, Koyama T, Hanabusa K, Shirai H (1997) Catalytic oxidation of 2-mercaptoethanol by cationic water-soluble phthalocyaninatocobalt(II) complexes. J Porph Phthal 1(4):309–313. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1409(199710)1:4%3c309:AID-JPP36%3e3.0.CO;2-R CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mathur RB, Pratap B (2017) Carbon nanomaterials: synthesis, structure, properties and applications. CRC Press, Boca Raton. https://www.crcpress.com/Carbon-Nanomaterials-Synthesis-Structure-Properties-and-Applications/Mathur-Singh-Pande/p/book/9781498702102. Accessed 6 Aug 2018
- Nikolaev AL, Gopin AV, Bozhevolnov VE, Mazina SE, Severin AV, Rudin VN, Andronova NV, Treschalina HM, Kaliya OL, Solovyeva LI, Lukyanets EA (2014) Sonodynamic therapy of cancer. A comprehensive experimental study. Russ Chem Bull 63(5):1036–1047. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11172-014-0546-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Volpin ME, Vorozhtsov GN, Krainova NJ, Levitin IY, Luzhkov JM, Lukiyanets EA, Gerasimova GK, Zhukova OS, Kazachkina NI, Kalia OL, Novodarova GN, Treschalina EM, Syrkin AB, Chissov VI, Yakubovskaya RI (1995) Agent for suppressing tumor growth. Patent US6004953A. https://patents.google.com/patent/US6004953. Accessed Aug 6 2018
- Wang Y, Hu N, Zhou Z, Xu D, Wang Z, Yang Z, Wei H, Kong ES, Zhang Y (2011) Single-walled carbon nanotube/cobalt phthalocyanine derivative hybrid material: preparation, characterization and its gas sensing properties. J Mater Chem 21:3779–3787. https://doi.org/10.1039/C0JM03567J CrossRefGoogle Scholar