Effect of the introduction of an alcohol-soluble conjugated polyelectrolyte as cathode interlayer in solution-processed organic light-emitting diodes and photovoltaic devices
- 124 Downloads
Interfacial engineering provides an important tool for optimizing the performances of optoelectronic devices. We show that poly[(2,7-(9,9′-dioctyl)fluorene)-alt-(2,7-(9,9′-bis(5″-trimethylammonium bromide)pentyl)fluorene)])], an alcohol-soluble π-conjugated polymer based on polyfluorene backbone and ammonium groups on the alkyl side chains, is capable of modifying the interface between the organic layer and the metal cathode in both organic solar cells and light-emitting diodes based on commercial materials and conventional architectures, improving their performances. The introduction of the cathode interlayer enhances the efficiency of a red-emitting phosphorescent OLED by 15% and decreases its turn-on voltage. The same polymer improves the power conversion efficiency of a PTB7/PC71BM solar cell by 55% and shows a beneficial effect in terms of device stability.
KeywordsOLEDs OPV Cathode interlayer Polyelectrolytes Device optimization Solution processable devices
PRIN2015 project “LIFE” prot. n. 20155ACHBN_003, Regione Lombardia-CNR agreement project “I-ZEB”, and scientific cooperation agreement between CNR and RAS (project Giovanella/Khotina) are acknowledged.
- Castelli A, Meinardi F, Pasini M, Galeotti F, Pinchetti V, Lorenzon M, Manna L, Moreels I, Giovanella U, Brovelli S (2015) High-efficiency all-solution-processed light-emitting diodes based on anisotropic colloidal heterostructures with polar polymer injecting layers. Nano Lett 15(8):5455–5464. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b01849 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Intemann JJ, Yao K, Li Y-X, Yip H-L, Xu Y-X, Liang P-W, Chueh C-C, Ding F-Z, Yang X, Li X, Chen Y, Jen AKY (2014) Highly efficient inverted organic solar cells through material and interfacial engineering of indacenodithieno[3,2-b]thiophene-based polymers and devices. Adv Func Mater 24(10):1465–1473. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201302426 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li YL, Cheng YS, Yeh PN, Liao SH, Chen SA (2014) Structure tuning of crown ether grafted conjugated polymers as the electron transport layer in bulk heterojunction polymer solar cells for high performance. Adv Func Mater 24(43):6811–6817. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201401428 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nishikitani Y, Inokuchi N, Nishide H, Uchida S, Shibanuma T, Nishimura S (2016) Effect of π-conjugated polyelectrolyte on performance of white polymer light-emitting diodes based on excitons and exciplexes having long intermolecular distances. J Phys Chem C 120(26):13976–13986. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.6b04413 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nishikitani Y, Suga K, Uchida S, Nishimura S, Oyaizu K, Nishide H (2017) High-color-rendering-index white polymer light-emitting electrochemical cells based on ionic host-guest systems: utilization of blend films of blue-fluorescent cationic polyfluorenes and red-phosphorescent cationic iridium complexes. Org Electron 5:168–172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgel.2017.09.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tan Z-K, Vaynzof Y, Credgington D, Li C, Casford MTL, Sepe A, Huettner S, Nikolka M, Paulus F, Yang L, Sirringhaus H, Greenham NC, Friend RH (2014) In-Situ switching from barrier-limited to ohmic anodes for efficient organic optoelectronics. Adv Func Mater 24(20):3051–3058. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201303426 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xia R, Leem D-S, Kirchartz T, Spencer S, Murphy C, He Z, Wu H, Su S, Cao Y, Kim JS, deMello JC, Bradley DDC, Nelson J (2013) Investigation of a conjugated polyelectrolyte interlayer for inverted polymer: fullerene solar cells. Adv Energy Mater 3(6):718–723. https://doi.org/10.1002/aenm.201200967 CrossRefGoogle Scholar