Synthesis and characterization of poly(2-chloroaniline) by chemical oxidative polymerization
- 86 Downloads
Nano-scaled P2ClAn was synthesized via chemical oxidation polymerization. The effects of oxidant concentration, surfactant type and concentration on the synthesized P2ClAn were investigated. Electrical conductivity results revealed that the undoped P2ClAn synthesized by APS at the monomer:oxidant mole ratio of 1:1 was the most suitable condition to yield the highest P2ClAn electrical conductivity. The morphological structures of P2ClAn changed from an irregular-shaped structure to a cylinder shape or a flake-like shape depending on the surfactant type and concentration. P2ClAn in the presence of SDS, used as a surfactant template, provided particles with an average nanosize of 56.2 nm and higher electrical conductivity than using CTAB. Further doping process of P2ClAn was studied using HClO4. The electrical conductivity of the doped dP2ClAn/SDS50 increased by three orders of magnitude, at the monomer:doping mole ratio of 1:25 possessing the highest electrical conductivity of 10.47 S cm−1, relative to the synthesized P2ClAn without doping.
KeywordsConducting polymer Poly(2-chloroaniline) Chemical oxidative polymerization Electrical conductivity
The work received financial supports from the Conductive and Electroactive Polymers Research Unit (CEAP) and the CU second Century Project (CUAASC) of Chulalongkorn University, the Thailand Research Fund (TRF), and the Royal Thai Government.
- Gök A, Şen S (2006) Preparation and characterization of poly (2-chloroaniline)/SiO2 nanocomposite via oxidative polymerization: comparative UV–vis studies into different solvents of poly (2-chloroaniline) and poly (2-chloroaniline)/SiO2. J Appl Polym Sci 102:935–943. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.24266 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nagavarma BVN, Yadav HK, Ayaz A, Vasudha LS, Shivakumar HG (2012) Different techniques for preparation of polymeric nanoparticles—a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 5:16–23Google Scholar
- Pandule SS, Shisodia SU, Patil MR, Pawar RP, Chabukswar VV (2016) Synthesis and characterization of methanesulfonic acid doped poly(2-chloroaniline), study of its physical properties and ammonia gas sensing application. J Macromol Sci Part A Pure Appl Chem 53:768–772. https://doi.org/10.1080/10601325.2016.1237815 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silveira FZ, Duarte GW, Tachinski CG, Piletti R, Fiori J, Peterson M, Fiori MA (2013) Polyaniline synthesis using hydrofluoric acid as doping agent: comparative evaluation with polyaniline doped with sulfuric acid. J Appl Polym Sci 128:430–435. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.38187 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taleghani HG, Aleahmad M, Eisazadeh H (2010) Effect of surfactant on morphology and conductivity of polyaniline nanoparticles prepared in water/tetrahydrofuran Solution. Asian J Chem 22:6897–6899Google Scholar
- Yari M, Sedaghat S (2009) In-situ synthesis and characterization of conducting metal-polyaniline nanocomposites. J Phys Theor Chem Islam Azad Univ Iran 5:189–193Google Scholar