Efficacy of Intragastric Balloon Treatment for Adolescent Obesity
- 246 Downloads
Several studies conducted in adults suggest that intragastric balloon (IGB) is an effective and safe method for weight loss. Although the prevalence of obesity in adolescents has increased in recent years, the outcomes of IGB treatment in this age group are not known. The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of IGB treatment for weight loss in adolescents followed up for 6 months.
This is a retrospective longitudinal study including 27 adolescents (14–19 years; 23 female). All participants were referred to IGB treatment by their attending physician, presented body mass index (BMI) ≥ 29 kg/m2 (>p97 BMI/age index) and failed to lose weight in clinical treatments. A liquid-filled nonadjustable IGB with a volume of 600 to 700 ml was used for 6 months. All patients were included in a multidisciplinary program, and adherence to this program was evaluated as the number of attended appointments.
There were no serious complications or deaths. The BMI decreased from 37.04 to 31.18 kg/m2 (p < 0.0001), body weight decreased from 102.21 to 86.23 kg (p < 0.0001), and excess weight diminished from 35.18 to 19.12 kg (p < 0.0001). The % excess weight loss (%EWL) was 56.19 and % total weight loss (%TWL) 16.35. Adherence to the multidisciplinary program correlated directly with %EWL (r = 0.55; p = 0.0033) and %TWL (r = 0.53; p = 0.0052).
Endoscopic treatment of obesity with an IGB is safe, effective, and may be an emerging therapeutic option for adolescents.
KeywordsIntragastric balloon Obesity Overweight Adolescents Weight loss
- 4.World Health Organization. Factsheet: obesity and overweight. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/
- 9.Jensen MD, Ryan DH, Apovian CM, et al. AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines and the Obesity Society. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;63(25PtB):2985–3023.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Karagiozoglou-Lampoudi T, Papakostas P, Penna S, et al. Effective intragastric balloon treatment in obese adolescents. Ann Gastrenterol. 2009;22(1):46–51.Google Scholar
- 19.WHO. Growth reference data for 5-19 years, 2007 (http:// http://www.who.int/growthref/en/)
- 20.Ali MR, Moustarah F, Kim JJ. American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Clinical Issues Committee. American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery position statement on intragastric balloon therapy endorsed by the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. SurgObesRelatDis. 2016;12(3):462–7.Google Scholar