Bamboo resources, utilization and ex-situ conservation in Xishuangbanna, South-eastern China
- 154 Downloads
This paper describes the geographical distribution, utilization, cultural value and ex-situ conservation of bamboo resources in Xishuangbanna, Yunan Province, China. Sixty species of bamboo in 19 genera are recorded in Xishuangbanna. The area of natural bamboo forest is 14319 ha, accounting for 5.92% of whole area of Xishuangbanna. The abundant resource of bamboo plays an important role in the economics and culture of national minorities in Xishuangbanna. Xishuangbanna Tropic Botanic Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), started to introduce bamboo species in 1961 and established the ex-situ conservation reserve (8 ha) of bamboo in 1981. Up to now, 211 species in 27 genera collected from tropic and sub-tropic of China and South-east Asia have been planted in the bamboo reserve, of which 11 species have bloomed and seeded, and their seeds were cultivated in Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanic Gardens, CAS, China.
KeywordsXishuangbanna bamboo resources utilization ex-situ conservation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dao Jianhong, Hui Chaomao, et al. 2001. A Study on the bamboo Germplasm Resource and its Conservation of Xishuangbanna Nature Reserve, Yunnan, China. Journal of the Bamboo Research, 20(1): 38–44.Google Scholar
- Dransfield J. 1981. The biology of Asiatic Rattans in relation to the Rattan Trade and Conservation. In: Synge H. (Ed.): The Biological Aspects of Rare Plant Conservation. London: John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 179–186.Google Scholar
- Liu Wenjie, Zhang Keying, Wang Changming, et al. 2001. The microclimate of dew and fog formation on canopy layer in the dry season in Xishuangbanna tropical rain forest. Acta ecologica Sinica, 21(3): 486–491.Google Scholar
- Rai SN, Chauhan KVS. 1998. Distribution and growing stock of bamboos in India. Indian Forest, 124(2): 89–98.Google Scholar
- Sharma ML. 1980. Bamboos in the Asia-Pacific region. In: Lessard G. (Ed.), Bamboo research in Asia, IDRC, Ottawa CA, 99–120.Google Scholar
- Wang Kanglin, Hsueh Chiru. 1994. A preliminary study on geographical distribution and types of bamboo forest in Xishuangbanna, Yunan, China. Guihaia, 14(2): 144–150.Google Scholar