Between Palliative Care and Euthanasia
- 1.6k Downloads
In 2002, Belgium was the second country in the world to legalize euthanasia following the Netherlands. Since then, a few studies dealing with Belgium euthanasia practices have been published that are based on a survey given to a sample of physicians and nurses (Deliens et al. 2000; Bilsen et al. 2009; Smets et al. 2010). All these studies from the past decade have implicitly proposed the practice of euthanasia as a medical act. Moreover, the last article published in this journal argued that the Belgian experiment concerning medical end-of-life decisions is unique in the world and that the Belgian palliative care system, including euthanasia, should serve as a role-model for the rest of the world (Bernheim et al. 2014).
The Belgium law provides a definition for euthanasia which lacks the analytical precision to apply it to medical studies (Commission Fédérale de Contrôle et d’Évaluation de l’Euthanasie 2014). When analyzing the latest data provided by the Belgian Federal Euthanasia...
KeywordsPalliative Care World Medical Association Palliative Care Specialist Palliative Care Team Explicit Request
- Chambaere, K., J.L. Bernheim, J. Downar, and L. Deliens. 2014. Characteristics of Belgian “life-ending acts without explicit patient request”: A large-scale death certificate survey revisited. CMAJ Open 2(4): E262–E267. Online appendices (reviewers’ comments)http://cmajopen.ca/content/suppl/2014/12/02/2.4.E262.DC1/Reviewer_comments.pdf. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- Cohen-Almagor, R. Forthcoming. First do no harm: Euthanasia of patients with dementia in Belgium. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy.Google Scholar
- Commission Fédérale de Contrôle et d’Évaluation de l’Euthanasie. 2014. Service Public Fédéral (SPF) Santé publique, Sécurité de la Chaîne alimentaire et Environnement. Brussels: Secrétariat de la Commission. http://www.health.belgium.be/eportal/Healthcare/Consultativebodies/Commissions/Euthanasia/Publications/index.htm. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- Leiva, R.A., T. Mortier, G. Casteur, and T. Lau. 2014. Re: Characteristics of Belgian “life-ending acts without explicit patient request”: A large-scale death certificate survey revisited. CMAJ, December 18. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/186/18/1368.full/reply#cmaj_el_726624. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- Smets, T., J. Bilsen, J. Cohen, M.L. Rurup, F. Mortier, and L. Deliens. 2010. Reporting of euthanasia in medical practice in Flanders, Belgium: Cross sectional analysis of reported and unreported cases. British Medical Journal 341: c5174. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c5174.
- Stafford, N. 2007. André Wynen. The Lancet 370(9591): 930. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61432-9.
- World Medical Association. 2013. WMA resolution on euthanasia. http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/e13b/. Accessed January 25, 2015.