Failure Analysis of Shock Absorption Spring in Motorcycle
- 223 Downloads
In the process development of a new spring for shock absorption in motorcycles, fatigue resistance cannot always reach the design standard. Spring fractures were sent to the author for failure analysis to identify reason behind and proposals for improvements were expected. Based on information from the spring manufacturer and spring fracture analysis, the reason for earlier breakage than design standard was determined to be process flaws. More specifically insufficient shot peening and embrittlement induced from electroplating were observed. This has been demonstrated by experimental results from an uncoated spring. A process optimization was proposed, and now, spring fatigue life has reached the design standard with the optimized process.
KeywordsShock absorption spring Failure analysis Shot peening Embrittlement
The authors would like to thank Yu An Shock Absorber Co., Ltd. for providing the information and samples for analysis.
- 1.Q. Zheng, H. Xi, Master thesis: Failure mode analysis and improvement on shock absorber of motorcycle, Tian Jin University; 2011 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 2.Z. Chen, H. Xie, Influence of electroless Ni-P coating on fatigue property of spring steel. Mater. Mech. Eng. 31(3), 20–25 (2007) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Yang, Y. Liu, Y. Yang, P. Ma, A. Tang, Reasons analysis on fracture of 65Mn steel spring washer. PTCA 49(2), 99–102 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.X. Hu, L. Ma, F. Huang, Failure analysis of hydrogen brittleness fracture of torsion spring. Met. Prod. 35(1), 21–26 (2009) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.J.W. Dini, Electrodeposition: The Materials Science of Coatings and Substrates (William Andrew Book Company, New Jersey, 1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Search Engine of China National Standards (in Chinese). http://www.spsp.gov.cn/page/P937/305.shtml, last accessed 2015-3-6
- 8.R.G. Budynas, J. Keith Nisbett, Mechanical Engineering Design (McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1981)Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Zhang, H. Liu, D. Wang (eds.), Handbook of Spring (China Machine, Beijing, 2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.N.-Z. Zhu, Influence of size of shot peening media on spring performance, Spring Engineering 1990; 3 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.P.D.T. O’Connor, Practical Reliability Engineering, 4th edn. (Wiley, Beijing, 2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Z. Wang, Fatigue performance of spring with electroless plated Ni, Spring Engineering; 1993 (in Chinese)Google Scholar