Damage Detection in Tires Using Image-Based Strain Measurements
- 150 Downloads
Tire failure in mining operations can be hazardous, resulting in financial and productivity losses. There are opportunities to improve tire monitoring systems by safely and remotely providing full-field measurements of tire properties. An optical fault detection system has been developed to investigate the feasibility of using digital image correlation to measure displacement and strain on a tire surface with the aim of detecting tire damage. This study defines metrics for damage visibility and examines the visibility of different damage types at multiple orientations in a laboratory setting. Internal and external damage was successfully detected from changes in surface strain. Knowledge gained from this investigation can be used to drive the future development of industrial tire monitoring solutions.
KeywordsDamage detection Optical fault detection system Digital image correlation Tire damage
Technical support and insight from Dr. Khaled Obaia and Angus Munro of Syncrude is greatly appreciated. Funding support is gratefully acknowledged from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Syncrude Canada Ltd, and the University of Alberta.
- 1.A. Mukhopadhyay, Selection, maintenance, and relations of various parameters for off-highway hauling tires. Off-highway Haulage in Surface Mines, pp. 153–159 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.M. Lipsett, R. Vaghar Anzabi, A. Kotchon, D. Nobes, Condition monitoring for mining haul truck tires, in Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies (CM 2011 and MFPT 2011), Cardiff, UK, 20–22 June 2011, 12 pp (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.R. Hartley, A. Zisserman, Multiple View Geometry, 2nd edn. (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2010)Google Scholar
- 12.16.5 × 6.50-8 Trailer Tire Assembly. Princess Auto. N.p., n.d. Web. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8227175/. Accessed 6 Nov 2012
- 13.J. Westerweel, Digital particle image velocimetry—Theory and application, Ph.D. Dissertation, Delft University Press, Delft (1993)Google Scholar
- 15.StrainMaster. Product Manual. LaVision GmbH 16 Mar 2007, pp. 107–130. FlowmasterGoogle Scholar
- 16.D.P. Hart, PIV Error Correction, in 9th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics (1998)Google Scholar