Static and Dynamic Sealing Performance Analysis of Rubber D-Ring Based on FEM
- 379 Downloads
In order to study the performance of the dynamic seal and static seal of D-ring, the FEM models of D-ring and O-ring were built, and the process of reciprocating seal of the D-ring was simulated. In addition, the effects of pre-compression, medium pressure, friction coefficient, and rubber hardness on sealing performance were discussed. The friction coefficients between rubber sealing ring and steel part, under different lubrication conditions, were measured through the experiment. The results show that, in static seal, the maximum contact stress of the D-ring increases with the increasing of pre-compression, friction coefficient, medium pressure, and rubber hardness. Besides, O-ring can be well replaced by D-ring in static seal. Since it can avoid distortion and twisting effectively in reciprocating dynamic seal and prolong its working life, D-ring has a better sealing performance in reciprocating seal than O-ring. As the friction coefficient grows, the amplitude of the maximum contact stress fluctuation increases as well as the fluctuation of the cross-section deformation which has a bad influence on sealing performance and fatigue life of the D-ring.
KeywordsD-ring Static seal Reciprocating dynamic seal Contact stress Numerical simulation
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the Science and Technology Innovation Talent Engineering Project of Sichuan Province (Nos. 2016RZ0040, 2014025).
- 2.W. Wang, S.G. Zhao, Nonlinear finite element analysis of rubber O-sealing ring. Lubr. Eng. 30(4), 106–110 (2005). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 3.S.X. Li, J.N. Cai, Q.X. Zhang, Performance analysis of O-ring used in compensatory configuration of mechanical seal. Tribology 30(3), 308–314 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.X. Cui, L.L. Dong, K.D. Zhao, Caculation of leakage and frication of combined dynamic seals based on ADINA. J. South China Univ. Technol. 38(2), 95–100 (2010). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 6.C.J. Han, J. Zhang, Finite element analysis and optimization of rectangle rubber seal. China Rubber Ind. 60(2), 98–103 (2013). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 7.C.J. Han, J. Zhang, G. Huang, Sealing performance analysis of a star sealing ring in reciprocating seal. Lubr. Eng. 37(9), 28–32 (2012). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 8.Q.B. Ren, T.M. Cai, R.Q. Wang, Investigation on structure parameters and failure criteria of “O”-type rubber sealing ring. J. Solid Rocket Technol. 29(1), 9–14 (2006). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 9.J. Liu, X.Q. Chou, W.S. Bo, Numerical analysis on the maximum contact pressure of rubber O-ring. Lubr. Eng. 35(1), 41–44 (2010). (in Chinese) Google Scholar