Reliability-Based Structural Design of Concrete Pipes
- 253 Downloads
Concrete pipes are widely used for transferring water in urban infrastructure facilities. The current design standard of concrete pipes in Australia is based on the deterministic indirect-design method. However, there is uncertainty in pipe performance during service life due to assumed design parameters, installation error, changed operational environments, and pipe deterioration. This study aims to assess the reliability of structural performance of concrete pipes at the design stage. The reliability assessment is based on the use of Markov chain theory for modeling pipe deterioration during service life and coefficient of variation for representing uncertainty in design, installation, and operational parameters. The results of a case study show that increasing pipe strength from class 2 as per current design to class 3 as per reliability assessment can significantly reduce the likelihood of structural failure during service life and delay inspection and structural rehabilitation by 10 years. There is a difference in structural deterioration between pipe cohorts, which should be taken into account for reliability-based design.
KeywordsConcrete pipes Design Reliability Markov model Pipe deterioration
The author gratefully acknowledges the kind support of Brimbank City Council, especially Dominic Di Martino and Abu Rahman.
- 3.ASCE 15-98, Standard Practice for Direct Design of Buried Precast Concrete Pipe Using Standard Installations. ASCE (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.A. Peyvandi, P. Soroushian, S. Jahangirnejad, Structural design methodologies for concrete pipes with steel and synthetic fiber reinforcement. ACI Struct. J. 111(1), 83–91 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.V.S. Nguyen, M.C. Jeong, T.S. Han, J.S. Kong, Reliability-based optimisation design of post-tensioned concrete box girder bridges considering pitting corrosion attack. Struct. Infrastruct. Eng. 9(1), 78–96 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.M. Kaszynska, A.S. Nowak, Target reliability for design and evaluation of bridges. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Bridge Management, 2005, pp. 401–408Google Scholar
- 12.AS 3725, Design for Installation of Buried Concrete Pipes. Standard Australia (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.R.E. Melchers, C.Q. Li, Phenomenological modeling of reinforcement corrosion in marine environments. ACI Mater. J. 103(1), 25–32 (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.WSAA, Conduit Inspection Reporting Code of Australia (Water Service Association of Australia (WSAA), Melbourne, 2006)Google Scholar
- 27.R.E. Melchers, Structural Reliability Analysis and Prediction (Wiley, Chichester, 1999)Google Scholar
- 29.AS 4058, Australia Standard AS 4058-2007 Precast Concrete Pipes (Pressure and Non-pressure). Engineers Australia (2007)Google Scholar