Analysis of a Premature Failure of a Hub from a Diesel Generator of a High-Speed Motor Ship
Failure analysis is carried out on a fractured hub obtained from a diesel generator of a high-speed motor ship. Macrofractography, microfractography, standard optical metallography, material characterization techniques, and numerical modeling were used to verify the findings of the current investigation. Cracking initiation is attributed to fretting fatigue caused by a modification performed in the vicinity of the fractured hub. Operational vibrations contributed to the propagation of the cracks as typical fatigue cracks until final fracture.
KeywordsFailure analysis Grey cast iron Crankshaft hub Fretting fatigue
- 1.ASM International, Metals Handbook Failure Analysis and Prevention, vol. 11 (ASM International, Berlin, 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.ASM International, Metals Handbook Fatigue and Fracture, vol. 19 (ASM International, Materials Park, 1996)Google Scholar
- 3.ASM International, Metals Handbook Metallography and Microstructures, vol. 09 (ASM International, Materials Park, 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.ASM International, Metals Handbook, Properties and Selection: Irons Steels and High Performance Alloys, vol. 01 (ASM International, Materials Park, 1990)Google Scholar
- 5.L. Engel, H. Klingele, An Atlas of Metal Damage (Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich, 1974)Google Scholar