TEM Study of Lizardite-1T Particles in Toluene Solvent
- 95 Downloads
Micrometer sized particles of lizardite-1T phase are observed in toluene solvent. Phase identification is carried out by selected-area electron diffraction experiment and simulation. TEM study shows that the particles are in flake forms with the (001) preferred orientation. Energy-dispersive X-ray spectra reveal some particles containing Mg and Si, and others containing Al and Si. Structural deterioration of the lizardite-1T phase occurs under relative higher dose of electron beams. The results of this characterization of lizardite-1T particles show the importance of beam-induced deterioration and emphasize the potential importance of such deterioration in the characterization of nano scale systems.
KeywordsCharacterization Electron microscopy Microstructure Lizardite-1T
This work was partially supported by the Army Research Office (W911NF-08-1-0190) and NSF CMMI (0825905). TEM experiments were carried out in the Central Facility of Electron Microscopy at the Nebraska Center for Materials and Nanoscience, University of Nebraska.
- 1.Parikh, A.N., Schivley, M.A., Koo, E., Seshadri, K., Aurentz, D., Mueller, K., Allara, D.L.: n-Alkylsiloxanes: from single monolayers to layered crystals. The formation of crystalline polymers from the hydrolysis of n-octadecyltrichlorosilane. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 119, 3135–3143 (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mellini, M.: The crystal structure of lizardite 1T: hydrogen bonds and polytypism. Am. Mineral. 67, 587–598 (1982)Google Scholar
- 5.Mellini, M., Zanazzi, P.F.: Crystal structures of lizardite-1T and lizardite-2H1 from Coli, Italy. Am. Mineral. 72, 943–948 (1987)Google Scholar
- 6.Guggenheim, S., Zhan, W.-D.: Effect of temperaturoe on the structures of lizardite-1T and liardite-2H1. Can. Mineral. 36, 1587–1594 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhukhlistov, A.P., Zvyagin, B.B.: Crystal structure of lizardite 1T from electron diffractometry data. Cryst. Rep. 43, 950–955 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.ICSD: Inorganic Crystal Structure Database. Fachinformationszentrum Karlsruhe, Germany (2008)Google Scholar