Failure Analysis of a Location Axle in Tracked Tractor
- 197 Downloads
In this study, a failure analysis was performed on the location axle (brace axle) of a blade on a tracked tractor used in agricultural areas. The analysis included evaluation of the macrostructure of the damage and the microstructure of the material, as well as a chemical analysis of the material. A commercial finite element method software package was used to determine the behavior of the location axle under the defined boundary conditions. After all the examination steps were completed, the main reason for the damage was determined to be manufacture and material error despite the presence of fatigue tracks in the damaged area. In addition, a heat treatment was carried out with the specimens taken from the damaged area and microstructure was re-examined. The experimental and simulation evaluation results provide a technical basis for suggestions to prevent future damage to the location axle.
KeywordsFailure analysis Finite element method Tracked tractor
This study was partly supported by the Scientific Research Administration Unit of Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey.
- 1.Erdogan, D., Colak, A., Acar, A.I.: Melioration Machine. Ankara University, Faculty of Agriculture: 1519 (2001) (in Turkish)Google Scholar
- 2.Kadayıfcılar, S., Onurbas, A.: Melioration Machine Applications. Ankara University, Faculty of Agriculture: 1483 (1997) (in Turkish)Google Scholar
- 3.Yılmaz, D., Akinci, I., Canakci, M.: Failure and failure analysis on machine element. In: National Agricultural Mechanization Congress Proceedings, vol. 20, pp. 568–572. Harran University, Turkey (2001) (in Turkish)Google Scholar
- 7.Topcuteknik: http://www.topcuteknik.com (2008) (in Turkish)
- 8.Kutay, M.G.: Guide Book of Mechanic, p. 459. Birsen Press, Istanbul (2003) (in Turkish)Google Scholar
- 9.CosmosWorks: On-line User’s Guide. Solidworks Software Corp., USA (2006)Google Scholar