Impact Damage Behavior of Vinyl Ester-, Epoxy-, and Nylon 6-Based Basalt Fiber Composites
- 33 Downloads
Composite laminates reinforced by woven basalt fibers and based on different polymer matrices were prepared and mechanically characterized, in static and dynamic conditions, to compare the results and evaluate the influence of the matrix type. In this regard, a thermoplastic resin, polyamide 6 (PA6), and two thermosetting matrices, vinyl ester and epoxy grades, commonly used for high-performance applications, were considered. Indentation depth measurements carried out by a confocal microscope and ultrasound analyses performed on specimens subjected to falling dart tests at levels of impact energies lower than the perforation one permitted to evaluate the extent of plastic deformations and of subjected delaminations, respectively. These data have provided useful information about the involved damage mechanisms and highlighted interesting perspective of use for the eco-friendly thermoplastic sample.
Keywordsbasalt fiber composites polyamide 6 epoxy vinyl ester impact damage C-scan
The authors gratefully acknowledge the ONR Solid Mechanics Program, in the person of Dr. Yapa D.S. Rajapakse, Program Manager, for the financial support provided to this research. The authors especially want to thank Eng Fabio Scherillo for the interesting discussion and for helping the authors in micrograph observations.
- 4.G. Simeoli, D. Acierno, L. Sorrentino, S. Iannace, F. Sarasini, J. Tirillò, L. Ferrante, M. Valente, T. Valente, and P. Russo, Comparison of Low-Velocity Impact Behavior of Thermoplastic Composites Reinforced with Glass and Basalt Woven Fabrics. 16th ECCM European Conference on Composite Materials, Seville, Spain, 22–26 June 2014Google Scholar
- 18.A. Akinci, Mechanical and Morphological Properties of Basalt Filled Polymer Matrix Composites, J. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2009, 35, p 29–32Google Scholar
- 23.V. Lopresto, G. Caprino, A. Langella, C. Leone, Penetration and indentation on basalt fibre reinforced plastic laminates under low velocity impacts, Proceedings of 15th European Conference on composite Materials, June 24–28, 2012 Venice, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- 27.V. Lopresto, A. Langella, I. Papa, Delamination on GFRP Laminates Impacted at Room and Lower Temperatures: Comparison Between Epoxy and Vinylester Resins, ESAFORM 2016 Proceedings of the 19th International ESAFORM Conference on Material Forming, 27–29 April 2016, Nantes, France. Published by AIP Conf. Proc., Vol. 1769. ISBN: 978-0-7354-1427-3 Indicizzato ISI, Scopus, Wos. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4963435
- 28.V. Lopresto, A. Langella, I. Papa, CFRP and GFRP Laminates in Vinylester Resin Impacted At Low Temperature, 1st International Conference on Impact Loading of Structures and Materials, ICILSM 2016, 22/26 May 2016, Turin, Italy.Google Scholar