Ductile Tearing Resistance Indexing of Automotive Grade DP 590 Steel Sheets: EWF Testing Using DENT Specimens
- 36 Downloads
The essential work of fracture (EWF) method has been explored for indexing the ductile tearing resistance of DP 590 automotive grade dual-phase steel sheet both in longitudinal (L-T) and transverse (T-L) orientations. The simplest possible test and analysis procedures have been adopted. The EWF method is found to be eminently suitable for routine quality control and product development purposes for such materials. Areas for further research for improving the experimental strategy are highlighted. For the investigated steel sheet, the estimated tearing resistance is found to be distinctly higher for the L-T orientation compared to the T-L orientation; the reason thereof merits further investigation.
KeywordsCTOA CTOD EWF method DENT specimens dual-phase steel tearing resistance
The authors thank Dr.Mahadev Shome, M/s Tata Steel, India, for kindly providing the test material. SKR wishes to thank Ministry of Steel, Government of India, for support during the course of the reported study.
- 1.B. Cotterell and J.K. Reddel, The Essential Work of Plane Stress Ductile Fracture, Int. J. Fract., 1977, 13(3), p 267–277Google Scholar
- 11.F. Hachez, A.G. Atkins, R.H. Dodds, and T. Pardoen, Micromechanics-Based Modelling of Ductile Tearing in Thin Plates, ECF15, 2004. www.structuralintegrity.eu/pdf/esis/Documents/…/15/Hachez%20F%20et%20al.pdf.
- 12.G. Lacroix, T. Pardoen, and P.J. Jacques, The Fracture Toughness of TRIP Assisted Multiphase Steels, Actamaterialia, 2008, 56, p 3900–3913Google Scholar
- 14.M. Torrentallé Dot, High Strength Steel Fracture: Fracture Initiation Analysis by the Essential Work of Fracture Concept, Bachelor Thesis, UniversitatPolytèchnica de Catalunya, Manresa, Jan 2015Google Scholar
- 15.G. Martin, M. Veron, Y. Brechet, B. Chehab, R. Fourmentin, J.-D. Mithieux, S.K. Yerra, L. Delannay, and T. Pardoen, Characterization of the Hot Cracking Resistance Using the Essential Work of Fracture (EWF)—Application to Duplex Stainless Steels, REM R. Esc. Minas, OuroPreto, 2013, 66(2), p 145–151. www.scielo.br/pdf/rem/v66n2/v66n2a02.pdf
- 16.ASTM E2472, Standard Test Method for Determination of Resistance to Stable Crack Extension under Low-Constraint Conditions, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2012Google Scholar
- 22.T.L. Anderson, Fracture Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications, CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, 1995Google Scholar
- 24.C.E. Turner, A Re-assessment of Ductile Tearing Resistance (Part I and II), Fracture Behaviour and Design of Materials and Structures, Proc. ECF 8, D. Firrao, Ed., Vol. II, 1990, p 933–949, 951–968Google Scholar
- 25.P. Anuschewski, W. Brocks, D. Hellmann, Characterisation of Ductile Tearing Resistance by the Energy Dissipation Rate: Effects of Material, Specimen Shape and Size, GKSS Report 2002/xxGoogle Scholar