Experimental Investigation of Microstructure and Phase Transitions in Ag-Cu-Zn Brazing Alloys
Microstructure and phase transitions of selected brazing alloys from the Ag-Cu-Zn ternary system were investigated. Four ternary alloys with silver content in the compositional range from 25 to 60 wt.% were studied using x-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy coupled with the energy-dispersive spectroscopy (SEM–EDS). Phase transitions of the investigated alloys were measured using differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). Experimentally obtained results were compared with the results of a thermodynamic calculation of the phase equilibria according to the CALPHAD method. The experiments confirmed the optimized thermodynamic parameters for the calculations from the thermodynamic assessment in literature. Phase compositions, liquidus and solidus temperatures were confirmed by the EDS and DTA methods. Additionally, the calculated solidification paths and predicted phase transformations were in agreement with the SEM images.
Keywordsadvanced characterization annealing casting and solidification electron microscopy silver brazing alloys x-ray
This work has been supported by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia, Projects Nos. TR 34033 and ON 172037. Calculations were performed by Pandat 8.1 software.
- 12.H. Wang, S.B. Xue, F. Zhao et al., Effects of Ga, Al, Ag, Ce Multi-additions on the Properties of Sn-9Zn Lead-Free Solder, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron., 2010, 21, p 111–119Google Scholar
- 13.H. Wang and S. Xue, Effect of Ag on the Properties of Solders and Brazing Filler Metals, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron., 2016, 27, p 1–13Google Scholar
- 14.H. Okamoto, M.E. Schlesinger, and E.M. Mueller, Ed., ASM Handbook Volume 3: Alloy Phase Diagrams, ASM International, Materials Park, 1992Google Scholar
- 18.V.T. Witusiewicz, S.G. Fries, U. Hecht, A. Drevermann, and S. Rex, Enthalpies of Formation Measurements and Thermodynamic Description of the Ag-Cu-Zn System, Int. J. Mater. Res., 2006, 97, p 556–568Google Scholar
- 20.K. Labisz, Z. Rdzawski, and M. Pawlyta, Ocena mikrostruktury dwuskładnikowego stopu Ag-Cu starzonego w długim czasie, J. Arch. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2011, 49, p 15–24Google Scholar
- 27.G.V. Raynor, Annotated Equilibrium Diagram Series, Vol 3, The Institute of Metals, London, 1944Google Scholar
- 28.T.B. Massalski, J.L. Murray, L.H. Bennett, and H. Baker, Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, American Society for Metals, Metals Park, 1986Google Scholar
- 34.K.J. Röenkä, F.J.J. van Loo, and J.K. Kivilathi, Study of Diffusion Paths in the System Cu-Ag-Zn, Z. Metallkd., 1997, 88, p 9–13Google Scholar
- 38.S.P. Dimitrijević, Z. Anđić, Ž. Kamberović, S.B. Dimitrijević, and N. Vuković, Recycling of Silver-Plated Brass for Production of High Purity Copper and Ultrafine Silver Powder for Electric Contacts, Bulg. Chem. Commun., 2014, 46, p 814–824Google Scholar
- 41.N. Saunders and A.P. Miodownik, CALPHAD (A Comprehensive Guide), Elsevier, London, 1998Google Scholar
- 44.W.J. Boettinger, U.R. Kattner, K.-W. Moon, and J.H. Perepezko, DTA and Heat-Flux DSC Measurements of Alloy Melting and Freezing, NIST Special Publication 960-15, Washington, 2006Google Scholar