Materials issues for InGaN-based lasers
InGaN multi-quantum-well-structure (MQW) laser diodes (LDs) with Al0.14Ga0.86N/GaN modulation doped strained-layer superlattice (MD-SLS) cladding layers grown on an epitaxially laterally overgrown GaN (ELOG) substrate were demonstrated to have a lifetime of more than 1800 h under the condition of room-temperature continuous-wave operation. On the other hand, the LDs grown directly on the sapphire substrate had a lifetime of shorter than 900 h. With the operating current increasing to above the threshold, a self-pulsation was observed to have a high frequency of 3 GHz and a photon lifetime of 0.7 ps. The use of the MD-SLS was effective for reducing the operating voltage of the LDs. The ELOG substrate was used to reduce the number of threading dislocations in the InGaN MQW structure.
Key wordsGaN InGaN laser diodes lifetime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a review, see S. Nakamura and G. Fasol, The Blue Laser Diode, 1st Ed. (Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1997).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Itaya, M. Onomura, J. Nishino, L. Sugiura, S. Saito, M. Suzuki, J. Rennie, S. Nunoue, M. Yamamoto, H. Fujimoto, Y. Kokubun, Y. Ohba, G. Hatakoshi and M. Ishikawa, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 35, L1315 (1996).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Doverspike, G.E. Bulman, S.T. Sheppard, T.W. Weeks, M.T. Leonard, H.S. Kong, H. Kieringer, C.H. Carter, J. Edmond, J.D. Brown, J.T. Swindell and J.F. Schetzena, 39th Electron. Mater. Conf., June 25–27 1997, Colorado, Z-9.Google Scholar
- 4.M.P. Mack, A. Abare, M. Aizcorbe, P. Kozodoy, S. Keller, U.K. Mishra, L. Coldren and S. DenBaars, MRS Internet J. Nitride Semicond. Res. 2, 41 (1997). (Available from http://nsr.mij.mrs.org/2/4/).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Nakamura, MRS Internet J. Nitride Semicond. Res. 2 (1997) 5. (Available from http://nsr.mij.mrs.org/2/5/).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Nakamura, M. Senoh, S. Nagahama, N. Iwasa, T. Yamada, T. Matsushita, Y. Sugimoto and H. Kiyoku, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Lett. 36, L1059 (1997).Google Scholar
- 7.J.W. Matthews and A.E. Blakeslee, J. Cryst. Growth 27, 118 (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Nakamura, 24th Intl. Symp. on Compound Semiconductors, September 8–11, 1997, San Diego, Plen-1.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Usui, H. Sunakawa, A. Sakai and A. Yamaguchi, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36, L899 (1997).Google Scholar
- 12.O.H. Nam, M.D. Bremser, T. Zheleva and R.F. Davis, 39th Electron. Mater. Conf., June 25–27 1997, Colorado, D-5.Google Scholar
- 16.J. Wang and H. Schweizer, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-2, 566 (1996).Google Scholar
- 20.Y. Narukawa, Y. Kawakami, Sz. Fujita, Sg. Fujita and S. Nakamura, Phys. Rev. B 55, R1938 (1997).Google Scholar