Study of High-Quality GeSn Alloys Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition towards Mid-Infrared Applications
- 234 Downloads
Germanium-tin (GeSn) films with Sn compositions from 5% to 11% were grown on Ge-buffered Si using a reduced pressure chemical vapor deposition system with low-cost SnCl4 and GeH4 precursors. Material characterization showed that relaxed GeSn layers with thicknesses ranging from 400 nm to 1 μm were achieved. The strong photoluminescence (PL) intensity and the low defect density indicated very high material quality. In addition, temperature-dependent 10–300 K photoluminescence spectra showed that, due to strain relaxation of the material, the emission wavelength is longer than that of strained GeSn thin film samples (t < 200 nm) having the same Sn composition. At 300 K, the PL peak at 2520 nm was observed from the sample with a 1-μm-thick GeSn layer and 11% Sn composition.
KeywordsGeSn alloy chemical vapor deposition growth photoluminescence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work in UA is supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) under (DMR-1149605), Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) under (FA9550-14-1-0205). The authors would also like to thank Institute for Nano Science and Engineering at the University of Arkansas for material characterization.
- 4.H. Yang, D. Zhao, S. Chuwongin, J. Seo, W. Yang, Y. Shuai, J. Berggren, M. Hammar, Z. Ma, and W. Zhou, Nat. Photonics 6, 615 (2012).Google Scholar
- 11.R. Ragan and H.A. Atwater, Appl. Phys. Lett. 77, 3418 (2000).Google Scholar
- 17.B. Conley, L. Huang, S. A. Ghetmiri, A. Mosleh, W. Du, G. Sun, R. Soref, J. Tolle, H.A. Naseem, and S. Yu, in CLEO: Science and Innovations (2014).Google Scholar
- 19.S. Wirths, R. Geiger, P. Scherrer, Z. Ikonic, A. T. Tiedemann, G. Mussler, J. Hartmann, S. Mantl, H. Sigg, D. Grützmacher, and D. Buca, 11th IEEE International Conference on Group IV Photonics GFP, pp. 15 (2014).Google Scholar
- 22.J. Kouvetakis, J. Menendez, and R. A. Soref, U.S. Patent 6897471 B1 issued May 24 (2005).Google Scholar
- 27.J. Margetis, A. Mosleh, S. Al-Kabi, S.A. Ghetmiri, W. Du, W. Dou, M. Benamara, B. Li, M. Mortazavi, H.A. Naseem, S. Yu, and J. Tolle, ASM International, unpublished research, 2016.Google Scholar