Effect of Plasma Surface Finish on Wettability and Mechanical Properties of SAC305 Solder Joints
- 95 Downloads
The wetting behavior, interfacial reactions, and mechanical reliability of Sn-Ag-Cu solder on a plasma-coated printed circuit board (PCB) substrate were evaluated under multiple heat-treatments. Conventional organic solderability preservative (OSP) finished PCBs were used as a reference. The plasma process created a dense and highly cross-linked polymer coating on the Cu substrates. The plasma finished samples had higher wetting forces and shorter zero-cross times than those with OSP surface finish. The OSP sample was degraded after sequential multiple heat treatments and reflow processes, whereas the solderability of the plasma finished sample was retained after multiple heat treatments. After the soldering process, similar microstructures were observed at the interfaces of the two solder joints, where the development of intermetallic compounds was observed. From ball shear tests, it was found that the shear force for the plasma substrate was consistently higher than that for the OSP substrate. Deterioration of the OSP surface finish was observed after multiple heat treatments. Overall, the plasma surface finish was superior to the conventional OSP finish with respect to wettability and joint reliability, indicating that it is a suitable material for the fabrication of complex electronic devices.
KeywordsPlasma surface finish Pb-free solder Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu wettability mechanical properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.D. Chang, F. Bai, Y.P. Wang, and C.S. Hsiao, in 6th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC) (2004), pp. 149–153.Google Scholar
- 7.Y.D. Jeon, Y.B. Lee, and Y.S. Choi, in 56th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC) (2006), pp. 119–124.Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Kim, J.W. Shin, and K.W. Paik, in 64th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC) (2014), pp. 1765–1768.Google Scholar
- 10.W.H. Zhu, L. Xu, J.H. Pang, X.R. Zhang, E. Poh, Y.F. Sun, A.Y.S. Sun, C.K. Wang, and T.B. Tan, in 58th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC) (2008), pp. 1667–1672.Google Scholar
- 15.F. Ferdinandi, in International Conference on Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA) (2009), pp. 841–846.Google Scholar
- 16.D.A. Geiger, Y. Liu, and D. Shangguan, in International Conference on Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA) (2005), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 17.A. Brooks, S. Woollard, G. Hennighan, and T. von Werne, in International Conference on Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA) (2012), pp. 1–6.Google Scholar