Fabrication and Characterization of Large-Area Unpatterned and Patterned Plasmonic Gold Nanostructures
- 175 Downloads
We report fabrication of Au nanoisland films on different substrates by thermally annealing a sputtered Au nanolayer and investigation of their structure, morphology, and optical properties. It was found that high-temperature annealing leads to transformation of the initial, continuous film into the forms of hillock and isolated island film. The final nanoisland films exhibit remarkably enhanced and localized plasmon resonance spectra with respect to the original sputtered film. The strong dependence of the resonance band spectra of the resulting structures on the annealing temperature and supporting substrate is presented and analyzed, suggesting that both of these factors could be used to tune the optical spectroscopic properties of such structures. Moreover, we propose and demonstrate a novel and effective approach for fabrication of patterned Au structures by thermally annealing the Au layer deposited onto modulated-surface substrates. The experimental results indicate that this method could become a promising approach for manufacturing plasmonic array structures, which have been extensively investigated and widely applied in many fields.
KeywordsGold structures plasmonics thermal annealing laser interference lithography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors acknowledge Mr. Arnaud Brosseau and Mr. Joseph Lautru for their support in AFM and SEM measurements, respectively.
- 5.T. Xu, Y.K. Wu, X. Luo, and L.J. Guo, Nat. Commun. 1, 1 (2010).Google Scholar
- 19.P. Buffat, J. Borel, Phys. Rev. A 13(6) (1976)Google Scholar
- 23.V.L. De Los Santos, D. Lee, J. Seo, F.L. Leon, D.A. Bustamante, S. Suzuki, Y. Majima, T. Mitrelias, A. Ionescu, and C.H. Barnes, Surf. Sci. 603(19), 2978 (2009)Google Scholar
- 29.N.D. Lai, C.C. Hsu, D.B. Do, J.H. Lin, T.S. Zheng, W.P. Liang, Y.Y. Huang, and Y. Di Huang, Fabrication of Two and Three-Dimensional Photonic Crystals and Photonic Quasi Crystals by Interference Technique (INTECH Open Access Publisher, 2011), p. 255Google Scholar
- 31.A.D. Humphrey and W.L. Barnes, Phys. Rev. B 90(7) (2014)Google Scholar