Tin Pest in Sn-0.5Cu Lead-Free Solder Alloys: A Chemical Analysis of Trace Elements
- 134 Downloads
Two samples of Sn-0.5Cu solder alloys, stored at −18°C for 7 years, were chemically analyzed by an inductively coupled plasma-optical emission spectroscopy method. One of the samples was unaffected by this exposure; the other one had completely transformed into brittle α-Sn. Ten elements were found to exhibit statistically significant differences in their concentrations between the two samples, with the higher always associated with the untransformed sample. The highest concentrations were found for elements with an appreciable solubility in Sn, i.e., Bi, In, Pb, and Sb.
KeywordsMetal and alloys lead-free solders aging phase transformations tin pest chemical analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research is a contribution to the European COST Action MP 0602. Financial support of the Austrian Science Foundation (FWF) under Project No. P 17346 is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Official Journal of the European Union (L37) (2003), 19; 24. (http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/JOHtml.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:037:SOM:EN:HTML)
- 2.See any text book on Inorganic Chemistry, e.g., N. Wiberg, Hollemann-Wiberg: Lehrbuch der Anorganischen Chemie, 102nd ed. (Berlin - New York: de Gruyter, 2007).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Villard and L.D. Calvert, Pearson’s Handbook of Crystallographic Data for Intermetallic Phases, 2nd ed., Vol. 4 (Materials Park, OH: ASM International, 1991), p. 5285.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Cohen and A.K.W.A. van Lieshout, Proc. K. Akad. Wet., Amsterdam 39, 1174 (1936).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Cohen, W.A.T. Cohen de Meester, and J. Landsman, Proc. K. Akad. Wet., Amsterdam 40, 746 (1937).Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Kariya, N. Williams, C.R. Gagg, and W.J. Plumbridge, J. Met. 53(6), 39 (2001).Google Scholar
- 11.E. Cohen and A.K.W.A. van Lieshout, Proc. K. Akad. Wet., Amsterdam 39, 352 (1936).Google Scholar
- 12.E. Cohen, A.K.W.A. van Lieshout, and W.A.T. Cohen de Meester, Z. Phys. Chem. 178, 221 (1937).Google Scholar
- 14.C.W. Mason and W.D. Forgeng, Met. Alloy 6, 87 (1935).Google Scholar
- 15.T.B. Massalski, H. Okamoto, P.R. Subramanian, and L. Kacprzak, eds., Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, 2nd ed. (Materials Park, OH: ASM International, 1990), p. 796, 2296, 3016, 3306.Google Scholar