Effects of Surface Processing on the Response of CZT Gamma Detectors: Studies with a Collimated Synchrotron X-Ray Beam
Using a microscale X-ray mapping technique incorporating a synchrotron beam, we are able to reveal the fine details of the surface properties in cadmium zinc telluride (CZT) semiconductor detectors. A detector, with various degrees of surface roughness, was irradiated by a high-spatial-resolution X-ray beam. The detector’s response was analyzed and displayed as a two-dimensional (2-D) map, and the charge collection was obtained from the peak positions in the spectra versus the beam’s location, which reflects the local material properties. We noted the correlation between the 2-D image and the spectral response of the charge collection at different locations on the surface area, which indicates that a rough surface tends to contain trapping centers, thereby enhancing leakage current and distorting the signal. We also discuss our observations on the transition effect at the boundary area of a rough and a smooth surface under identical conditions.
KeywordsCZT surface roughness microcharacterization leakage current surface polishing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. Zha, W. Jie, T. Tan, X. Wang, Nucl. Inst. Meth. A566 (2006) 495Google Scholar
- 4.A. Burger, H. Chen, K. Chattopadhyay, D. Shi, S.H. Morgan, W.E. Collins, R.B. James, Nucl. Instr. Meth. A428 (1999) 8Google Scholar
- 9.G.S. Camarda, A.E. Bolotnikov, G.A. Carini, Y. Cui, K.T. Kohman, L. Li, R.B. James, Proc. SPIE 6319 (2006) 1Google Scholar
- 14.A.E. Bolotnikov, G.S. Camarda, G.A. Carini, Y. Cui, L. Li, and R.B. James, Nucl. Instr. Meth. A (accepted on 3 Nov. 2006, available online 28 Nov. 2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Scientific Software, http://www.certif.com, 2006
- 18.L. Longxia, Yinnel Tech., personal correspondence, 2007Google Scholar
- 19.Linear Attenuation Coefficient data, http://www.amptek.com/anczt1.html, 2007
- 20.S.H. Park, Y.K. Kim, and H.S. Kim, N35-57, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, 2005Google Scholar
- 21.H.S. Kim, S.H. Park, Y.K. Kim, J.H. Ha, S.M. Kang, S.Y. Cho, submitted to Nucl. Instr. Meth. A (2007), doi: 10.1016/j.nima.2007.04.021 (article in press)
- 23.G.F. Knoll, Radiation Detection and Measurement, Wiley, New York (2000)Google Scholar