This work presents a new processing concept for production of Ti metal powder from FeTiO3via TiN and TiSx. Because FeTiO3 can be converted to TiN by the carbothermal reduction and nitridation method, TiN was taken as the starting material. Ti2.45S4 and TiS2 powders were completely formed from TiN at 1473 K (1200 °C) in 3.6 and 10.8 ks, respectively. Either CS2 or S2 gas could be used for the sulfurization process. The sulfides were then converted to α-Ti metal powders by the Ono and Suzuki (OS) process in molten CaCl2 with a small addition of CaS. Employing S2 gas in the sulfurization step remarkably reduced the carbon contamination to 0.01 and 0.1 wt pct C after the sulfurization and reduction processes, respectively. α-Ti powders with spherical morphology and foil-like Ti sheets containing less than 0.15 wt pct O were obtained from the electrochemical reduction in molten CaCl2-0.5 mol pct CaS. The approach applied here offers a promising strategy to design an innovative process for production of commercial grade Ti powders via TiSx and TiN from FeTiO3 by nitridation, sulfurization, and OS processes.
This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution.
Buy single article
Instant access to the full article PDF.
Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout.
Subscribe to journal
Immediate online access to all issues from 2019. Subscription will auto renew annually.
Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout.
JEOL is a trademark of Japan Electron Optics Ltd., Tokyo.
LECO is a trademark of LECO Corporation, St. Joseph, MI.
1. W. Kroll: Trans. Electrochem Soc., 1940, vol. 78, pp. 35–47.
2. E. Ahmadi, S.A. Rezan, N. Baharun, S. Ramakrishnan, A. Fauzi, and G. Zhang: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2017, vol. 48B, pp. 2354–66.
3. R.O. Suzuki, K. Teranuma, and K. Ono: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2003, vol. 34B, pp. 287–95.
4. R.O. Suzuki and S. Inoue: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2003, vol. 34B, pp. 277–85.
5. C. Schwandt, G.R. Doughty, and D.J. Fray: Key Eng. Mater., 2010, vol. 436, pp. 13–25.
6. K. Ono and R.O. Suzuki: JOM, 2002, vol. 54, pp. 59–61.
7. E. Ahmadi, A. Fauzi, H. Hussin, N. Baharun, K.S. Ariffin, and S.A. Rezan: Int. J. Miner. Metall. Mater., 2017, vol. 24, pp. 444–54.
E. Ahmadi, SA. Hamid, H.B. Hussin, N.B. Baharun, S. Ramakrishnan, K.S.B. Ariffin, and M.N.A. Fauzi: INROADS–Int. J. Jaipur Nat. Univ., 2016, vol. 5, pp. 11–16.
9. E. Ahmadi, N.I. Shoparwe, N. Ibrahim, S.A.R. Sheikh Abdul Hamid, N. Baharun, K.S. Ariffin, H. Hussin, and M.N. Ahmad Fauzi: Extraction 2018, Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2018, pp. 1383–96.
10. E. Ahmadi, Y. Yashima, R.O. Suzuki, and S.A. Rezan: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2018, vol. 49B, pp. 1808–21.
11. C. Doblin, A. Chryss, and A. Monch: Key Eng. Mater., 2012, vol. 520, pp. 95–100.
12. C. Doblin, D. Freeman, and M. Richards: Key Eng. Mater., 2013, vol. 551, pp. 37–43.
13. V. Duz, M. Matviychuk, A. Klevtsov, and V. Moxson: Met. Powder Rep., 2017, vol. 72, pp. 30–38.
V. Duz, V.S. Moxson, A.G. Klevtsov, and V. Sukhoplyuyev: Titanium USA 2013 Conf. Proc., International Titanium Association (ITA), Las Vegas, NV, 2013, p. 189.
15. Q. Wang, J. Song, J. Wu, S. Jiao, J. Hou, and H. Zhu: Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014, vol. 16, pp. 8086–91.
J.C. Withers, J. Laughlin, and R.O. Loutfy: Light Metals 2007, TMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, 2007, TMS, Warrendale, PA, 2007.
17. J.C. Withers, R.O. Loutfy, and J.P. Laughlin: Mater. Technol., 2007, vol. 22, pp. 66–70.
18. D. Jewell, S. Jiao, M. Kurtanjek, and D.J. Fray: Titanium 2012, International Titanium Association, Atlanta, GA, 2012.
19. G.Z. Chen, D.J. Fray, and T.W. Farthing: Nature, 2000, vol. 407, pp. 361–64.
20. K.S. Mohandas and D.J. Fray: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2009, vol. 40B, pp. 685–99.
21. S. Jiao and D.J. Fray: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2010, vol. 41B, pp. 74–79.
22. H. Noguchi, S. Natsui, T. Kikuchi, and R.O. Suzuki: Electrochemistry, 2018, vol. 86, pp. 82–87.
23. C. Schwandt and D.J. Fray: Electrochim. Acta, 2005, vol. 51, pp. 66–76.
24. T. Matsuzaki, R.O. Suzuki, S. Natsui, T. Kikuchi, and M. Ueda: Mater. Trans., 2019, vol. 60, pp. 411–15.
25. T. Matsuzaki, R.O. Suzuki, S. Natsui, T. Kikuchi, and M. Ueda: Mater. Trans., 2019, vol. 60, pp. 386–90.
26. N. Suzuki, M. Tanaka, H. Noguchi, S. Natsui, T. Kikuchi, and R.O. Suzuki: ECS Trans., 2016, vol. 75, pp. 507–15.
27. N. Suzuki, M. Tanaka, H. Noguchi, S. Natsui, T. Kikuchi, and R.O. Suzuki: Mater. Trans., 2017, vol. 58, pp. 367–70.
28. S.K. Basu and M. Taniguchi: Thermochim. Acta, 1986, vol. 109, pp. 253–65.
29. R.O. Suzuki, N. Suzuki, Y. Yashima, S. Natsui, and T. Kikuchi: Extraction 2018, Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2018, pp. 763–71.
30. T. Kikuchi, M. Yoshida, S. Matsuura, S. Natsui, E. Tsuji, H. Habazaki, and R.O. Suzuki: J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 2014, vol. 75, pp. 1041–48.
31. R.O. Suzuki: J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 2005, vol. 66, pp. 461–65.
32. M. Ohta, S. Satoh, T. Kuzuya, S. Hirai, M. Kunii, and A. Yamamoto: Acta Mater., 2012, vol. 60, pp. 7232–40.
A. Roine: “Outokumpu HSC Chemistry for Windows, Chemical Reaction and Equilibrium Software with Extensive Thermochemical Database. Outokumpu Research Oy, Pori, HSC Ver. 8.08, 2014.
34. W. Hofmann and A. Schrader: Arch. Eisenhuettenwes., 1936, vol. 10, pp. 65–66.
35. L.J. Norrby and H.F. Franzen: J. Solid State Chem., 1970, vol. 2, pp. 36–41.
36. J.R. Dahn, W.R. McKinnon, R.R. Haering, W.J.L. Buyers, and B.M. Powell: Can. J. Phys., 1980, vol. 58, pp. 207–13.
37. H. Okamoto: Desk Handbook: Phase Diagrams for Binary Alloys, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 2000, p. 742.
38. R.O. Suzuki, N. Noguchi, Y. Haraguchi, S. Natsui, and T. Kikuchi: ECS Trans., 2018, vol. 86, pp. 45–53.
39. E. Long, S. O’Brien, E.A. Lewis, E. Prestat, C. Downing, C.S. Cucinotta, S. Sanvito, S.J. Haigh, and V. Nicolosi: NPJ 2D Mater. Appl., 2017, vol. 1, pp. 1–9.
40. Z.Z. Fang, J.D. Paramore, P. Sun, K.S.R. Chandran, Y. Zhang, Y. Xia, F. Cao, M. Koopman, and M. Free: Int. Mater. Rev., 2018, vol. 63, pp. 407–59.
41. O. Kanou, N. Fukada, and S. Takenaka: J. Jpn. Soc. Powder Powder Metall., 2017, vol. 64, pp. 295–99.
The financial support from Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI 17H03434 and 18F18054), a Research Grant from the Japan Mining Industry Association, a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Fellowship (P18054), and the kind support from the International Affairs of Engineering, Hokkaido University, are gratefully acknowledged. The authors also express their appreciation to Messrs. Hiromi Noguchi, Takumi Kaneko, Yuta Yashima, and Yasushi Haraguchi for their technical assistance in the experiments.
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
Manuscript submitted June 8, 2019.
About this article
Cite this article
Ahmadi, E., Suzuki, R.O. An Innovative Process for Production of Ti Metal Powder via TiSx from TiN. Metall Mater Trans B 51, 140–148 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-019-01730-w