Effect of Rhenium Addition on Hot Corrosion Resistance of Ni-Based Single Crystal Superalloys
Hot corrosion behavior of two Ni-based single crystal superalloys containing 0 Re and 2 wt pct Re in molten sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) at 900 °C in static air has been investigated using the “deposit recoat” method. It was shown that the incubation period of the Re-containing alloy was much longer than that of the Re-free alloy. It was because Re increased the stability of the chromium oxide (Cr2O3) scale, promoted the formation of nickel titanate (NiTiO3), and suppressed the diffusion of Ni. In addition, the overall corrosion kinetics of the Re-containing alloy followed a multistage parabolic law, compared with the Re-free alloy. This could be because Re increased the activity of chromium (Cr) and titanium (Ti), which resulted in the periodically opening and closure of the cracks in the outer oxide layer.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 51631008, the National Key Research and Development Program of China under Grant No. 2016YFB0701403, the National Training Programs of Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Undergraduates under Grant No. S201710705025 and the Xi’an Shiyou University “Materials Science and Engineering” Provincial Preponderant Discipline. The authors are grateful for these supports.
- 2.Y. Murata, R. Hashizurne, A. Yoshinari, N. Aoki and M.M. Fukni: Superalloys 2000, 2000, pp. 285-294.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Burgel, J. Grossmann, O. Lusebrink, H. Mughrabi, F. Pyczak, R.F. Singer and A. Volek: Superalloys 2000, 2000, pp. 25-34.Google Scholar
- 7.F.S. Pettit and G.H. Meier: Superalloys 1984, 1984, pp. 651-687.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Matsugi, M. Kawakami, Y. Murata, M. Morinaga, N. Yukawa and T. Takayanagi: Tetsu to Hagane-Journal of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, 1992, vol. 78, pp. 821-28.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Matsugi, Y. Murata, M. Morinaga and N. Yukawa: Superalloys 1992, 1992, pp. 307-316.Google Scholar
- 17.R. Hashizume, A. Yoshinari, T. Kiyono, Y. Murata and M. Morinaga: Superalloys 2004, 2004, pp. 53-62.Google Scholar
- 21.J.X. Chang, D. Wang, G. Zhang, L.H. Lou and J. Zhang: Superalloys 2016, 2016, pp. 177-185.Google Scholar