Segregation and Phase Transformations Along Superlattice Intrinsic Stacking Faults in Ni-Based Superalloys
In this study, local chemical and structural changes along superlattice intrinsic stacking faults combine to represent an atomic-scale phase transformation. In order to elicit stacking fault shear, creep tests of two different single crystal Ni-based superalloys, ME501 and CMSX-4, were performed near 750 °C using stresses of 552 and 750 MPa, respectively. Through high-resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) and state-of-the-art energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, ordered compositional changes were measured along SISFs in both alloys. For both instances, the elemental segregation and local crystal structure present along the SISFs are consistent with a nanoscale γ′ to D019 phase transformation. Other notable observations are prominent γ-rich Cottrell atmospheres and new evidence of more complex reordering processes responsible for the formation of these faults. These findings are further supported using density functional theory calculations and high-angle annular dark-field (HAADF)-STEM image simulations.
Funding for this study was provided by NASA’s Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate (ARMD) – Convergent Aeronautics Solutions Project and NASA’s Advanced Air Transport Technology (AATT) Project Office (ARMD). Further funding was provided by the National Science Foundation and the DMREF program under Grant #1534826.
- 1.P.H. Thornton, R.G. Davies, and T.L. Johnston: Metall. Trans., 1970, vol. 1, pp. 207-218.Google Scholar
- 10.B.H. Kear, J.M. Oblak, and A.F. Giamei: Metall. Trans., 1970, vol. I, pp. 2477–86.Google Scholar
- 20.G.B. Viswanathan, R. Shi, A. Genc, V.A. Vorontsov, L. Kovarik, C.M.F. Rae, and M.J. Mills: Acta Mater., 2015, vol. 94, pp. 5-8.Google Scholar
- 26.T.M. Smith, B.D. Esser, N. Antolin, A. Carlsson, R.E.A. Williams, A. Wessman, T. Hanlon, H.L. Fraser, W. Windl, D.W. McComb, and M.J. Mills: Nat. Commun., 2016, vol. 7, pp. 1-7.Google Scholar
- 31.J.P. Hirth and J. Lothe: Theory of Dislocations, 2nd edn., Wiley, New York, 1968. pp. 317-318.Google Scholar
- 32.C.N. Jones, R.C. Reed, C.M.F. Rae, M. Karunaratne, C.J. Small, and R.W. Broomfield: Superalloys, 2000, Vol. 1, pp. 767–776.Google Scholar
- 34.C.T. Sims: Superalloys, 1984, vol. 1, pp. 399–419.Google Scholar
- 39.A.K. Sinha: Trans Met. Soc. AIME., 1969, vol. 1969, pp. 1-5.Google Scholar
- 40.K.P. Gupta: Phase Diagram Evaluations: Section II., 2005, vol. 26, pp. 87–92.Google Scholar