The Design of a Software Environment for Organizing, Sharing, and Archiving Materials Data
- 127 Downloads
A versatile system for organizing, sharing, and archiving materials data is presented. The system structure is based on a division between the primary, numeric data and their metadata; metadata are further broken into material structure information and data source information. The system was implemented in software, with the data repository and metadata database reflecting the core structure. Versatility of the system arises from its configurability and extensibility. A standard configuration is discussed, and a detailed example is used to illustrate the application of the system. The software is freely available by contacting the corresponding authors.
- 1.National Research Council Committee on Integrated Computational Materials Engineering: Integrated Computational Materials Engineering: A Transformational Discipline for Improved Competitiveness and National Security, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, 2008.Google Scholar
- 2.K. Rajan: Mater. Today, vol. 8 (10), pp. 38–45.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Cebon and M.F. Ashby: MRS Bull., 2006, vol. 31 (12), pp. 1004–12.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Miller: NSDL Collection Development Policy, 2007, http://onramp.nsdl.org/.
- 5.L.M. Bartolo, C.S. Lowe, D.R. Sadoway, A.C. Powell, and S.C. Glotzer: D-Lib. Mag., 2005, vol. 11 (3), DOI: 10.1045/dlib.magazine, ISSN: 1082-9873.
- 7.W.F. Hosford: The Mechanics of Crystals and Textured Polycrystals, Oxford University Press, New York, 1993.Google Scholar