On the Extension of Processing Time with Increase in Temperature during Transient-Liquid Phase Bonding
- 276 Downloads
Transient-liquid phase (TLP) bonding of a nickel-based superalloy, IN 738, was performed. Contrary to conventional TLP bonding analytical models, which assume a parabolic relationship between liquid/solid interface migration and holding time, deviation from this law was observed experimentally and by numerical simulation. The deviation, which is caused by reduction in solute concentration gradient below a critical value, is suggested as an alternate phenomenon responsible for anomalous extension of processing time required to produce an eutectic-free joint with increase in bonding temperature. A decrease in the filler gap size and the use of a melting-point depressant (MPD) solute with higher solubility in the base material could reduce the occurrence of the anomalous behavior during a high-temperature TLP joining process.
KeywordsBonding Temperature Isothermal Solidification Filler Alloy Deviation Zone Parabolic Relationship
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support by the URGP of the University of Manitoba.
- 4.D.S. Duvall, W.A. Owczarski, D.F. Paulonis: Weld. J., 1974, vol. 53, pp. 203–14Google Scholar
- 8.P. Villars, A. Prince, H. Okamoto: Handbook of Ternary Alloy Phase Diagrams, ASM INTERNATIONAL, Metals Park, OH, 1993Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Zhou, W.F. Gale, T.H. North: Int. Mater. Rev., 1995, vol. 40, pp. 181–96Google Scholar
- 12.S. Liu, D.L. Olson, G.P. Martin, G.R. Edwards: Weld. J., 1991, vol. 70, pp. 207s–215sGoogle Scholar
- 13.Y. Nakao, K. Nishimoto, K. Shinozaki, C.Y. Kang: Trans. Jpn. Weld. Soc., 1989, vol. 20, pp. 60–65Google Scholar
- 14.W.F. Gale, E.R. Wallach: Mater. Sci Technol., 1991, vol. 7, pp. 1143–48Google Scholar
- 16.M.L. Kuntz: Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, 2006Google Scholar
- 17.A. Sakamoto, C. Fujiwara, T. Hattori, S. Sakai: Weld. J., 1989, vol. 68, pp. 63–71Google Scholar
- 18.J.E. Ramirez, S. Liu: Weld. J., 1992, vol. 71, pp. 365s–375sGoogle Scholar
- 20.R. Johnson: Weld. J., 1981, vol. 60, pp. 185s–193sGoogle Scholar