Analytical Electron Microscopy Study of Boron-Rich Grain Boundary Microconstituent in Directionally Solidified RENE 80 Superalloy
- 333 Downloads
Analytical transmission electron microscopy study of intergranular regions in directionally solidified (DS) RENE 80 superalloy was performed. In addition to the generally reported M3B2-type boride particles that form in the alloy during ingot solidification, considerable presence of a different type of boride particles, M5B3, which has not been generally reported in the alloy, was observed. Extensive formation of these particles along the grain boundaries in the DS alloy is pertinent to high-temperature performance of the material.
KeywordsBoride Boron Atom Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy Directionally Solidify Electron Diffraction Analysis
The authors thank NSERC of Canada for financial support.
- 2.D.M. Shah, A. Cetel: in Superalloys 2000, T.M. Pollock, R.D. Kissinger, R.R. Bowman, K.A. Green, M. Mclean, S. Olson, J.J. Schirra, eds., TMS, Warrendale, PA, 2000, pp. 295–304Google Scholar
- 3.R.T. Holt, W. Wallace: Int. Met. Rev., 1976, vol. 21, pp. 1–24Google Scholar
- 5.T.G. Garosshen, T.D. Tillman, G.P. McCarthy: Metall. Trans. A, 1987, vol. 18A, pp. 69–77Google Scholar
- 9.N. Yukawa, Y. Murata, and T. Noda: Superalloys 1984, TMS, Warrendale, PA, 2000, pp. 83–92Google Scholar
- 10.F. Zupanic: Mater. Technol., 2002, vol. 36, pp. 361–65Google Scholar
- 14.H.J. Goldschmidt: J. Iron Steel Inst., 1971, vol. 209, pp. 910–11Google Scholar