Worldwide uptake of FRAX
The worldwide uptake of FRAX is described.
The aim of this report was to determine the usage of FRAX worldwide over a 1-year period from 1 May 2012.
The number of FRAX calculations from each country was assessed over a 1-year period and expressed as calculations per million of the population aged 50 years or more. Countries were colour coded according to usage to populate a world map.
Over the index year, there were estimated to be 2,391,639 calculations sourced from 173 counties. Uptake was high in North America, the Antipodes and most countries of Europe; intermediate in Latin America and the Middle East; and very low in Africa and much of South East Asia.
It is expected that the comparative data will encourage the development of new FRAX models and the uptake of FRAX into assessment guidelines.
KeywordsFRAX Fracture risk assessment
- 2.Kanis JA on behalf of the World Health Organization Scientific Group (2008) Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health-care level. Technical report. WHO Collaborating Centre, University of Sheffield, Sheffield. http://www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/pdfs/WHO_Technical_Report.pdf. Accessed May 2013
- 4.Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, Johansson H, Cooper C, Rizzoli R, Reginster J-Y, on behalf of the Scientific Advisory Board of the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO) and the Committee of Scientific Advisors of the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) (2013) European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 24:23–57PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.UN (2010) Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat (2010) World Population Prospects: the 2010 revision. http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/index.htm. Accessed 16 May 2013
- 7.Central Intelligence Agency (2013) The world fact book. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tw.html. Accessed May 2013
- 8.Kanis JA, Borgström F, Compston J, Dreinhofer K, Nolte E, Jonsson L, Lems W, McCloskey EV, Rizzoli R, Stenmark J, Sundseth H (2013) SCOPE: a scorecard for osteoporosis in Europe. Arch Osteoporos 8:114Google Scholar
- 9.Kanis JA, Odén A, McCloskey EV, Johansson H, Wahl D, Cyrus Cooper C, on behalf of the IOF Working Group on Epidemiology and Quality of Life (2012) A systematic review of hip fracture incidence and probability of fracture worldwide. Osteoporos Int 23:2239–2256Google Scholar
- 11.Dachverband Osteologie e.V (2011) DVO guideline 2009 for prevention, diagnosis and therapy of osteoporosis in adults. Osteologie 20: 55–74. http://www.schattauer.de/en/magazine/subject-areas/journals-a-z/osteology/contents/archive/issue/special. Accessed May 2012
- 13.Dutch Institute for Healthcare Improvement (CBO) (2011) Richtlijn Osteoporose en fractuurpreventie, derde herziening. Utrecht: CBOGoogle Scholar