Shenyi Capsule (参一胶囊) plus Chemotherapy versus Chemotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review of Overlapping Meta-Analyses
- 19 Downloads
To assist decision-makers interpret and choose among conflfl icting meta-analyses, as well as to offer treatment recommendations based on current best evidence by performing a systematic review of overlapping meta-analyses regarding Shenyi Capsule (参一胶囊, SC) plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
A literature search was conducted to select systematic reviews comparing SC plus chemotherapy with chemotherapy for NSCLC. Meta-analyses only composed of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) met the inclusion criteria. Two authors individually estimated the quality of meta-analysis and extracted data. The Jadad decision algorithm was applied to guarantee which meta-analysis provided the best original evidence.
A total of 5 meta-analyses were included. All the studies composed of RCTs or quasi-RCTs and were regarded as level-II evidence. The scores of the Assessment of Multiple Systematic Reviews ranged from 3 to 6 (median 4). A high-quality meta-analysis with more RCTs was chosen, which suggested that SC plus chemotherapy could increase incidence of short-term efficacy, improve the quality of life and survival rate in comparison to chemotherapy. However, there was no statistically significant difference between SC plus chemotherapy and chemotherapy regarding chemotherapy-induced side effect, such as liver and kidney function obstacle, leukopenia, hemoglobin decrement and gastrointestinal adverse reaction.
Based on the best available evidence, treatment effect of SC plus chemotherapy was better than chemotherapy and did not increase side effects. Therefore, SC plus chemotherapy may be superior to chemotherapy for treating NSCLC. However, due to some limitations, SC plus chemotherapy should be cautiously considered, and further high-quality meta-analyses are needed.
Keywordsnon-small cell lung cancer Shenyi Capsule Chinese medicine chemotherapy integrative treatment systematic review meta-analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen XL, Duan XM, Zhao HF, Teng YL. Treatment strategy for molecular targeted drugs on non-small cell lung cancer. China Pharm (Chin) 2014;25:2080–2082.Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang X, Ye BD, Chen D, Wu DJ, Zhao YH. Progress on anti-tumor effects and mechanisms of ginsenoside-Rg3. Chin Arch Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2013;31:328–330.Google Scholar
- 4.Chen SJ, Li RZ. Clinical observation of Canyi Capsule combined with GP regimen in the treatment of advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer. Contemp Med (Chin) 2012;18:1–2.Google Scholar
- 5.Li CY, Li QY, Xu J. Clinical observation of Canyi Capsule combined with GP regimen in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res Prev Treat (Chin) 2012;39:1125–1127.Google Scholar
- 6.Li HB, Liu WL, Zhang QY, Kang XM, Zhao WH. The efficacy analysis of low-dose cyclophosphamide combined with ginsenoside Rg3 on advanced non small cell lung cancer. Pract Oncol J (Chin) 2006;20:18–20.Google Scholar
- 7.Liu H, Hou W, Wang H, Lin HS. Clinical research on Shenyi Capsule combined with gefitinib for advanved non-small cell lung cancer: a report of 50 cases. J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2012;53:933–935, 966.Google Scholar
- 8.Liu SQ, Sun LX, Ban LY, Zhou T. Ginsenoside Rg3 capsules combined NP regimen in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Chin Clin Oncol (Chin) 2007;12:847–849.Google Scholar
- 9.Liu XG, Yang HB, Li L, Xing LN. Effect observation of Shenyi Capsule combined chemotherapy for treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Jilin Med J (Chin) 2009;30:2319–2320.Google Scholar
- 10.Liu Y, Liu S, Xu CA. Clinical observation of chemotherapy plus Shenyi Capsule for treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Shanxi Med J (Chin) 2007;36:554–556.Google Scholar
- 11.Qi CW, Zhang HT. Ginsenoside Rg3 combined GP regimen in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Med Pract (Chin) 2011;15:121–122.Google Scholar
- 12.Shao HL. Clinical observation on Shenyi Capsule combined with docetaxel for elderly patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Shanxi Med J (Chin) 2013;42:738–740.Google Scholar
- 13.Shi MQ, Feng JF, Pan LX, Zhou ZF. Clinical observation of treating non-small-cell lung cancer by chemotherapy and Shenyi Capsule. Chin Clin Oncol (Chin) 2006;11:193–194, 197.Google Scholar
- 14.Sun Yan, Lin HS, Zhu YZ, Feng JF, Chen ZT, Li GS, et al. A randomized, prospective, multi-centre clinical trial of NP regimen (vinorelbine + cisplatin) plus Gensing Rg3 in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Chin J Lung Cancer (Chin) 2006;9:254–258.Google Scholar
- 15.Wang XQ, Zhang M. Effect observation of Shenyi Capsule combined with radiation and chemotherapy treatment for elderly advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Pract Med (Chin) 2013;29:1885–1886.Google Scholar
- 16.Xu S, Zhao YX, Long D. Effect of Canyi Capsule combined with single chemotherapy drug in maintenance treatment for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Guangzhou Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2013;3:337–340.Google Scholar
- 17.Qin SK, Chen YX, Wang L, Liu XF, He ZM, Wang JS. Clinial study on qi deficiency patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated by Shenyi Capsule. Chin Clin Oncol (Chin) 2001;04:327–329,331.Google Scholar
- 18.Lin HS, Piao BK, Li SQ. Phase II clinical trial report of treating lung cancer with Shenyi Capsule. Chin J Clin Oncol (Chin) 2002;4:276–279.Google Scholar
- 19.Chen WM, Yao Y, Shi ZZ. Observation of curative effect of combined 20(r)-ginsenoside Rg3 with chemotherapy with non small cell lung cancer. Mil Med J South China (Chin) 2005;1:4–6.Google Scholar
- 20.Wang Y, Liu JL, Zhao HL, Yang MP, Li X, Liu L. Curative effect observation of ginseng saponins Rg3 capsule combined With chemotherapy for treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Pract Oncol J (Chin) 2011;25:33–35.Google Scholar
- 21.Du LX. clinical observation of Shenyi Capsule auxiliary treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Neimongol J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2014;33(34):7.Google Scholar
- 22.Pang M. Correlation studies of the near future curative effect of Shenyi Capsule adjuvant chemotherapy treatment on advanced non-small cell lung cancer and the serum levels changes of VEGF/bFGF [dissertation]. Jinan: Jinan University; 2012:47.Google Scholar
- 23.Tu H. Curative effect observation of serum vascular endothelial growth factor of ginseng saponins Rg3 plus chemotherapy for treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients [dissertation]. Fuzhou: Fujian University Traditional Chinese Medicine; 2008:30.Google Scholar
- 24.Zhu JP, Yu LK, Hao KK, Zhang Y, Sun ZK. Treat non-small cell lung cancer with Shenyi Capsule plus chemotherapy: a systematic review. Liaoning J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2009;9:1444–1447.Google Scholar
- 26.Xia HX, Jiao LB, Hu W. A meta-analysis of therapeutic efficacy of Shenyi Capsule combined with chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. China Pharm (Chin) 2014;20:1887–1891.Google Scholar
- 27.Xu LN, Zhang NZ. Clinical effect and safety meta-analysis of adjuvant chemotherapy of ginseng 1 capsule for nonsmall cell lung cancer. Yunnan J Tradit Chin Med Mater Med (Chin) 2015;7:14–16.Google Scholar
- 28.Fang SS, Ge W, Song J, Luo W, Chen C. System evaluation of the effectiveness and safety of Rg3 combined with chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. China Med Herald (Chin) 2015;35:87–92.Google Scholar
- 29.Mascarenhas R, Cvetanovich GL, Sayegh ET, Verma NN, Cole BJ, Bush Joseph C, et al. Does double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction improve postoperative knee stability compared with single-bundle techniques? A systematic review of overlapping meta-analyses. Arthroscopy 2015;31:1185–1196.PubMedGoogle Scholar