Conventional Acupuncture for Cardiac Arrhythmia: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials
To exam the effect and safety of conventional acupuncture (CA) on cardiac arrhythmia.
Nine medical databases were searched until February 2016 for randomized controlled trials. Heterogeneity was measured by Cochran Q test. Meta-analysis was conducted if I2 was less than 85% and the characteristics of included trials were similar.
Nine qualified studies involving 638 patients were included. Only 1 study had definitely low risk of bias, while 7 trials were rated as unclear and 1 as high. Meta-analysis of CA alone did not have a significant benefit on response rate compared to amiodarone in patients with atrial fibrillation (Af) and atrial flutter (AF) [relative risk (RR): 1.09; 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.79–1.49; P=0.61; I2=61%, P=0.11]. However, 1 study with higher methodological quality detected a lower recurrence rate of Af in CA alone as compared with sham acupuncture plus no treatment, and benefits on ventricular rate and time of conversion to normal sinus rhythm were found in CA alone group by 1 study, as well as the response rate in CA plus deslanoside group by another study. Meta-analysis of CA plus anti-arrhythmia drug (AAD) was associated with a significant benefit on the response rate when compared with AAD alone in ventricular premature beat (VPB) patients (RR, 1.19, 95% CI: 1.05–1.34; P=0.005; I2=13%, P=0.32), and an improvement in quality-of-life score (QOLS) of VPB also showed in 1 individual study. Besides, a lower heart rate was detected in the CA alone group by 1 individual study when compared with no treatment in sinus tachycardia patients (MD–21.84 [–27.21,–16.47]) and lower adverse events of CA alone were reported than amiodarone.
CA may be a useful and safe alternative or additive approach to AADs for cardiac arrhythmia, especially in VPB and Af patients, which mainly based on a pooled estimate and result from 1 study with higher methodological quality. However, we could not reach a robust conclusion due to low quality of overall evidence.
Keywordsacupuncture cardiac arrhythmia systematic review
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Types of Arrhythmia. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov. July 1, 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.Silvia GP, Carina BL, Andrea M, Nico B, Martin B, John C, et al. 2015 ESC guidelines for the management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death: The Task Force for the Management of Patients with Ventricular Arrhythmias and the Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2015;36:2793–2867.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Blomstrom-Lundqvist C, Scheinman MM, Aliot EM, Alpert JS, Calkins H, Camm AJ, et al. ACC/AHA/ESC guidelines for the management of patients with supraventricular arrhythmias—executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Supraventricular Arrhythmias). Circulation 2003;108:1871–1909.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.The Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial (CAT) Investigators. Preliminary report: effect of encainide and flecainide on mortality in a randomized trial of arrhythmia suppression after myocardial infarction. The Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial (CAT) Investigators. N Engl J Med 1989;321:406–412.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Saksena S, Slee A, Waldo AL, Freemantle N, Reynolds M, Rosenberg Y, et al. Cardiovascular outcomes in the AFFIRM Trial (Atrial Fibrillation Follow-Up Investigation of Rhythm Management): an assessment of individual antiarrhythmia drug therapies compared with rate control with propensity score-matched analyses. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;58:1975–1985.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Scirica BM, Morrow DA, Hod H, Murphy SA, Belardinelli L, Hedgepeth CM, et al. Effect of ranolazine, an antianginal agent with novel electrophysiological properties, on the incidence of arrhythmias in patients with non-ST-segmentelevation acute coronary syndrome: results from the metabolic efficiency with ranolazine for less ischemia in non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome-thrombolysis in myocardial infarction 36 (MERLIN-TIMI 36) randomized controlled trial. Circulation 2007;116:1647–1652.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Mathew JP, Parks R, Savino JS, Friedman AS, Koch C, Mangano DT, et al. Atrial fibrillation following coronary artery bypass graft surgery: predictors, outcomes, and resource utilization. Multi-Center Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group. JAMA 1996;276:300–306.Google Scholar
- 15.Kang XZ, Xia Y. Acupuncture therapy for arrhythmia and other cardiac disorders: clinical and laboratory investigation. Acupunct Res (Chin) 2009;34:413–420.Google Scholar
- 19.Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available at: http://handbook.cochrane.orgGoogle Scholar
- 21.Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011], Chapter 9 (section 9.3.9). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available at: http://handbook.cochrane. org.Google Scholar
- 22.Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011], Chapter 16 (section 16.5.4). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available at: http://handbook.cochrane. org.Google Scholar
- 23.Liu LY, Li ZP. Observation on the clinical curative effect of propafenone with acupuncturing Neiguan on frequent ventricular premature beat. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med Intens Crit Care (Chin) 1999;6:65–66.Google Scholar
- 24.Li H. The transient effect of acupoint selection of Linggui Bafa on sinus tachycardia. Chin Acupunct Moxibust (Chin) 2003;23:132–134.Google Scholar
- 25.Dong SJ. 32 caes of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia in acupuncture Neiguan. J Henan Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2006;21:69–70.Google Scholar
- 26.Xu HK, Zhang YF. Comparison between therapeutic effects of acupuncture and intravenous injection of amiodarone in the treatment of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. Chin J Acupunct Moxibust (Chin) 2007;27:96–98.Google Scholar
- 27.Zhong CH. Observations on the efficacy of combined acupuncture and medicine in treating ventricular premature beat without organic heart disease. Shanghai J Acupunct Moxibust (Chin) 2008;27:15–16.Google Scholar
- 28.Wang F, Zhou L, Xia LM, Jiang XP. Clinical observations on acupuncture point injection plus medication for the treatment of coronary heart disease-caused ventricular premature beats. Shanghai J Acupunct Moxibust (Chin) 2012;31:96–97.Google Scholar
- 29.Han BD. Clinical observation on 62 caes of paroxysmal rapid atrial fibrillation treated by acupuncture combined with drug therapy. J Emerg Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2012;21:303.Google Scholar
- 30.Chen L, Chen ZHF, Yang XX, Jiang W, Zhou WB, Yin KCH. The efficacy and safety of Neiguan acupoint catgut embedding therapy for atrial fibrillation. J New Chin Med (Chin) 2012;44:148–150.Google Scholar
- 32.Guo XZH, ed. Basic theory of traditional Chinese medicine. Shanghai: Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers; 2006.Google Scholar
- 33.Shen XY, ed. Meridians and acupoints. Beijing: China Press of Traditional Chinese Medicine; 2003.Google Scholar
- 34.Yang J, ed. Acupuncture and moxibustion therapeutics. Beijing: China Science Publisher; 2004.Google Scholar
- 35.Du HJ, Chen F, Tang GM, Xu WB. The influence of electroacupuncturing Neiguan and Xinshu on MMP-2, TIMP-2 of myocardial tissue in acute myocardial infarction rat model. J Shanxi Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2015;16:22–24.Google Scholar
- 36.Xiao YL, Du YH, Shi XM. The effect of acupuncturing Neiguan point on ET and NO in myocardial ischemic of AMI model rats. Chin J Clin Rehabil (Chin) 2002;6:1582–1583.Google Scholar
- 37.Wu S, Li J, Hong YQ, Liang FX, Tang HT, Liu JM, et al. The influence of electro-acupuncturing Neiguan on p38MAPK signaling pathway in rats with cardiac hypertrophy. Chin Acupunct Moxibust (Chin) 2012;32:145–148.Google Scholar
- 38.Li XL. Clinical study on regulation of acupuncture on plasma TXB2 and 6-Keto-PGF1a in the patient of angina pectoris due to coronary heart disease. Chin Acupunct Moxibust (Chin) 1999;19:227–229.Google Scholar
- 39.Huang EM, Wu XP, Wang YW, Liu YX, Hu P, Yan SHX. The influence of electro-acupuncturing Neiguan on transmembrane potential of myocytes in acute myocardial infarction rabbit mode. J Acupunct Res (Chin) 1995;20:33–35.Google Scholar
- 40.Liu N. The influence of electro-acupuncturing Neiguan on cAMP-PKA signaling pathway in tachyarrhythmia rat model [dissertation]. Shenyang: Liaoning Univ Tradi Chin Med; 2009.Google Scholar
- 41.Qin LP, Gao JH, Fu WX, Lu B, Cui HF, Wang YM, et al. The mechanism of acupuncture preconditioning in improving ischemic arrhythmia-inhibition of intracellular calcium oscillations in cardiac myocytes. J Acupunct Res (Chin) 2008;33:75–79.Google Scholar
- 42.Guo XF, Lai SL, Liang WX, Wen ZH, Wang Q, Lao YR, et al. Selection and application of outcome index in evaluation of clinical efficacy of traditional Chinese medicine. J Guangzhou Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2002;19:251–255.Google Scholar