Protective Effects of Chaihu Shugan San (柴胡疏肝散) on Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Rats with Insulin Resistance
- 158 Downloads
To investigate the protective effects of Chinese medicine formulation Chaihu Shugan San (柴胡疏肝散, CHSGS) on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in rats with insulin resistance (IR) and its molecular mechanisms.
Male Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly divided into six groups: the control group, the model group, Dongbao Gantai group (东宝肝泰, DBGT, 0.09 g methionine/kg), CHSGS high-dose group (CHSG-H, 12.6 g crude drug/kg), CHSGS medium-dose group (CHSG-M, 6.3 g crude drug/kg), and CHSGS low-dose group (CHSG-L, 3.15 g crude drug/kg). After establishing the NAFLD rat model and treatment for 8 weeks, total cholesterol (TC), triglyceride (TG), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), free fatty acid (FFA), fasting blood glucose (FBG), fasting insulin (FINS) contents in blood serum, and TC, TG contents in the hepatic homogenate were measured by an automatic biochemical analyzer, and a homeostasis model assessment was applied to assess the status of IR, insulin sensitivity index (ISI), and homeostasis model assessment for insulin secretion (HOMA-IS). The expression levels of adiponectin and leptin mRNA in liver tissue were analyzed by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction. Pathological changes of livers were observed by hematoxylin-eosin staining of paraffin section.
Compared with the model group, the serum levels of TC, TG, FFA, FBG, FINS, IRI, ISI, and the liver levels of TC and TG in CHSG-H, CHSG-M, CHSG-L groups showed significant declines (P<0.01 or P<0.05); the serum levels of HDL-C, HOMA-IS were significantly increased (P<0.01 or P<0.05); the expression of leptin mRNA was dramatically decreased and the expression of adiponectin mRNA was increased in the hepatic tissue (P<0.01 or P<0.05). The fatty deposition of liver cells could also be alleviated.
CHSGS could up-regulate the expression of adiponectin mRNA and down-regulate the expression of leptin mRNA on the liver, suggesting the CHSGS had positive therapeutic effect on NAFLD in rats with IR.
KeywordsChaihu Shugan San nonalcoholic fatty liver disease lipid metabolism insulin resistance adiponectin leptin Chinese medicine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Li F, Yang WY, Liang R, Liu XL, Qu D. Understanding the role of the liver in adjusting stress reactions. J Beijing Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 1998;21:20–23.Google Scholar
- 7.Li D, Jiang T, Fan HQ, Liang WN, Xiong KZ, Tang CP. Influence of Chaihushugan San on lipid metabolism and liver function in nonalcoholic fatty liver rats. Pharmacol Clin Chin Materia Med (Chin) 2013;29:8–11.Google Scholar
- 8.Mili S, Luli D, Stimac D. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and obesity: Biochemical, metabolic and clinical presentations. World J Gastroenterol 2014;20:9330–9337.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang ZP, You TT, Zou LY, Wu T, Wu Y, Cui L. Effect of a compound Danshen preparation in preventing long-term gastric lipid emulsion administration-induced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in rats. J Southern Med Univ (Chin) 2008;28:1109–1113.Google Scholar
- 11.Yao HX, Guo J, Tang CP, Yang CY, Chen YF, Chen YF, et al. Liver hypolipidemic protection of Compound Zhenzhu Tiaozhi Capsula on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in rats and its mechanism. Chin Tradit Herbal Drugs (Chin) 2011;42:2075–2076.Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang L. The observation of Chaihu Shugan San clinical effect on non-alcoholic fatty liver. Chin Med Modern Distance Educ (Chin) 2013;11:90–91.Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang YH, Zhou M, Chen SW. Pharmacological study on Dongbaogantai pill. Chin Community Doctors (Chin) 2010;27:17.Google Scholar
- 14.Su DM, Li J, Zhuge L, Li JX. Influences of Jianpi Shugan Fang on ADP and TNF-α in rats with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. J Beijing Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2011;34:826–831.Google Scholar
- 15.Fan JG. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease diagnosis and treatment guidelines (recension in 2010). Chin J Gastroenterol Hepatol (Chin) 2010;19:483–484.Google Scholar
- 20.Lu LG, Zeng MD. The role of improving insulin resistant in the treatment and prevention of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Chin J Hepatol (Chin) 2003;11:113–114.Google Scholar
- 28.Zhu WF, Zhao Y, Xu KM, Shi MJ, Chen LH. Action mechanism of Dongbaogantai tablet in the prevention and treatment of alcoholic fatty liver in rats. China Pharm (Chin) 2009;20:2179–2181.Google Scholar
- 29.Zhao CP, Sun XN, Yu JZ. A clinical study on treating fatty liver with Jiangzhi Yigan Powder and Dongbao Gantai Pill. J Chin Med (Chin) 2005;20:34–35.Google Scholar
- 30.Li J, Li P. 149 cases of clinical observation on treatment of fatty liver with Dongbaogantai and Zhibituo. Sichuan Med J (Chin) 2000;21:724.Google Scholar
- 31.Yan M. Medicine research of non-alcoholic fatty liver. Clin J Chin Med (Chin) 2012;3:118–120.Google Scholar
- 32.Ge HY, Chen B, Liu HL, Li HQ. Therapeutic effects of saikoside on alcoholic liver disease in rats. Chin J Gerontol (Chin) 2011;31:662–663.Google Scholar
- 33.Chen JM, Zhang SS, Guo QK, Peng B, Peng YY, Li FY, et al. Study on the curative effect and the protection mechanism of Paeoniflorin on nonalcoholic fatty liver rats. China J Tradit Chin Med Pharm 2013;28:1376–1381.Google Scholar