An investigation of the effects of curcumin on anxiety and depression in obese individuals: A randomized controlled trial
- 511 Downloads
To investigate the effectiveness of curcumin, a natural polyphenolic compound with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities, on the frequency of symptoms of anxiety and depression in obese individuals.
In this double blind, cross-over trial, 30 obese subjects were randomized to receive either curcumin (1 g/day) or placebo for a period of 30 days. Following a wash-out interval of 2 weeks, each subject was crossed over to the alternative regimen for a further 30 days. Severity of anxiety and depression was assessed at baseline and at weeks 4, 6 and 10 of the trial using the Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI) and Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) scales, respectively.
Mean BAI score was found to be significantly reduced following curcumin therapy (P=0.03). However, curcumin supplementation did not exert any significant impact on BDI scores (P=0.7).
Curcumin has a potential anti-anxiety effect in individuals with obesity.
KeywordsCurcuma longa curcumin phenolic psychological disorders Beck Anxiety Inventory scale Beck Depression Inventory scale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schechter LE, Ring RH, Beyer CE, Hughes ZA, Khawaja X, Malberg JE, et al. Innovative approaches for the development of antidepressant drugs: current and future strategies. J Am Soc Exp Neurother 2005;2:590–611.Google Scholar
- 5.Su KP. Inflammation in psychopathology of depression: Clinical, biological, and therapeutic implications. BioMedicine (Netherlands) 2012;2:68–74.Google Scholar
- 17.Panahi Y, Saadat A, Beiraghdar F, Sahebkar A. Adjuvant therapy with bioavailability-boosted curcuminoids suppresses systemic inflammation and improves quality of life in patients with solid tumors: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Phytother Res 2014;28:1461–1467.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Panahi Y, Sahebkar A, Amiri M, Davoudi SM, Beiraghdar F, Hoseininejad SL, et al. Improvement of sulphur mustardinduced chronic pruritus, quality of life and antioxidant status by curcumin: results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Br J Nutr 2012;108:1272–1279.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Available at: http://irct.ir/searchresult.php?keyword=%20j?%20&id=14521&?eld=g&number=1&prt=5&total=10&m=1. Last accessed on December 22, 2014.Google Scholar
- 44.Nabiuni M, Nazari Z, Abdolhamid Angaji S, Safayi Nejad Z. Neuroprotective effects of curcumin. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 2011;5:2224–2240.Google Scholar