Randomized double-blind clinical trial of Moluodan (摩罗丹) for the treatment of chronic atrophic gastritis with dysplasia
- 225 Downloads
To assess the efficacy and safety of Moluodan (摩罗丹) in treating dysplasia in chronic atrophic gastritis (CAG) patients.
This was a multi-centered, double-blind, randomized controlled trial. The total of 196 subjects were assigned to receive either Moluodan or folic acid in a 2:1 ratio by blocked randomization. Mucosa marking targeting biopsy (MTB) was used to insure the accuracy and consistency between baseline and after 6-month treatment. Primary outcomes were histological score, response rate of pathological lesions and dysplasia disappearance rate. Secondary endpoints included gastroscopic findings, clinical symptom and patient reported outcome (PRO) instrument.
Dysplasia score decreased in Moluodan group (P =0.002), significance was found between groups (P =0.045). Dysplasia disappearance rates were 24.6% and 15.2% in Moluodan and folic acid groups respectively, no significant differences were found (P =0.127). The response rate of atrophy and intestinal metaplasia were 34.6% and 23.0% in Moluodan group, 24.3% and 13.6% in folic acid group. Moluodan could improve erythema (P =0.044), and bile reflux (P =0.059), no significance between groups. Moluodan was better than folic acid in improving epigastric pain, epigastric suffocation, belching and decreased appetite (P <0.05), with symptom disappearance rates of 37% to 83%.
Moluodan improved dysplasia score in histopathology, and erythema and bile reflux score in endoscopy, and superior to folic acid in improving epigastric pain, epigastric suffocation, belching and decreased appetite. [ChiCTR-TRC-00000169]
Keywordsgastric epithelial dysplasia chronic atrophic gastritis Moluodan folic acid randomized clinical trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Wu B. The outcome of low-grade gastric intraepithelial neoplasia and the comparative study between endoscopic therapy and surgical resection for high-grade gastric intraepithelial neoplasia and early gastric cancer [dissertation]. Beijing: Chinese PLA Postgraduate Medical School; 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Li EF, Mei JQ, Su TC, Miu YX. Regulating function of Moluodan on the gastric electrogram of chronic gastric diseases. Chin Tradit Patent Med (Chin) 1992;14:24–25.Google Scholar
- 9.Jin ZH, Kang Y, Jiao JJ, Ma DL, Zhang CL. A experimental study on the effect of Moluodan on secretion function in mice with chronic gastritis. Tianjin Med (Chin) 1990;3:179–180.Google Scholar
- 10.Jiao JJ, Ma DL, Kang Y, Jin ZH, Zhang CL. The pathological changes of experimental mice with chronic gastritis treated by Moluodan. Tianjin Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 1990;3:38–39.Google Scholar
- 11.Yu Z, Wang G, Chen GY, Chang J, Zhang Y, Zhang RM. Muoluodan concentrated pill in treatment of chronic atrophic gastritis (the stomach-yin of deficiency and stagnated blood of stomach meridian): a prospective, randomized, controlled trial. West China Med J (Chin) 2007;22:287–289.Google Scholar
- 12.Guo XJ. The curative effect observation on 200 cases of intetinal metaplasia of atrophic gastritis treated with Moluo Pills. J Beijing Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 1997;17:33–35.Google Scholar
- 14.Digestive Disease Branch of Chinese Medical Association. Consensus on chronic gastritis in China (Shanghai 2006). Chin J Gastroenterol (Chin) 2007;27:45–49.Google Scholar
- 16.Wang F. Weifuchun for the treatment of 40 cases with chronic atrophic gastritis. Fujian Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2003;34:31.Google Scholar
- 17.Wu HM. Clinical research on Weifuchun for the treatment of chronic atrophic gastritis. Chin Med Factory Mine (Chin) 2000;13:215–216.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhu SS, Joel Mason, Shi Y, Hu YB, Li RR, Wang M, et al. The interventional effect of folic acid on the development of gastric and other gastrointestinal cancers—clinical trial and follow-up for seven years. Chin J Gastrocnterol (Chin) 2002;7:73–78.Google Scholar
- 20.Zhu SS, Hu YB, Shi Y, Fang JY, Gu WQ, Jiang SJ, et al. Reversion of the precancerous lesions of gastric cancer with some vitamins: a preliminary clinical observasion. Chin J Gastroenterol (Chin) 1996;1:70–74.Google Scholar
- 21.Chinese Medical Association of Digestive Endoscopy. Endoscopic classification and trial standards on treatment of chronic gastritis. Chin J Dig Endosc (Chin) 2004;21:77–78.Google Scholar
- 24.Tang XD, Wang P, Liu BY, Zi MJ. Development and analysis of patient reported outcome instrument for chronic gastrointestinal disease. J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2009;50:27–29.Google Scholar
- 26.Sun LM, Si JM, Chen SJ, Liu WL, Zhao L, Wang LJ. The establishment and clinical applicance of technique of mucosa marking targeting biopsy. Heptogastroenterology 2009;56:59–62.Google Scholar
- 27.Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori. IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk to Humans. World Health Organization. IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum 1997;61:177.Google Scholar
- 28.Hu YP, Cui L, Yang JJ, Liu T, Wang XF, Liu FG. Diagnosis and clinical significance of gastric tunica mucosa epithelial reactive hyperplasia and dysplasia. Clin Misdiagnosis Mistherapy (Chin) 2012; 25:65–68.Google Scholar
- 30.Li P, Zhang ST. Criteria of endoscopic diagnosis of chronic gastritis and Its appraisal. Chin J Clin Gastroenterol (Chin) 2006;18:136–138.Google Scholar
- 31.Yang XY, Wu YL, Zhu YH, Tang ZP, Zhu SL, Feng L, et al. Gastric mucosal low-grade intraepithelial neoplasia treated with Weifuchun combined with folic acid and its outcome. J Intern Med Concepts Pract (Chin) 2013;8:24–28.Google Scholar
- 32.Yuan WQ, Wang L, Wang XH. Research progress on clinical pathology of gastric intraepithelial neoplasia. Chin J Coal Industry Med (Chin) 2004;7:490–491.Google Scholar
- 33.Xu CP, Liu WW. Follow-up study on chronic gastritis, intestinal metaplasia and dysplasia. Chin J Dig (Chin) 1984:10.Google Scholar