Songling Xuemaikang Capsule (松龄血脉康胶囊) for primary hypertension: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials
- 114 Downloads
To evaluate the effectiveness and safety of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule (松龄血脉康胶囊, SXC) for the treatment of primary hypertension.
An extensive search including Cochrane Library, PubMed, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), Chinese Biomedical Literature Database (CBM), Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI), Chinese Scientific Journal Database (VIP), KoreaMed, Japanese database, and online clinical trial registry websites was performed up to February 2013. Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) regarding SXC for the treatment of primary hypertension were searched without no language restrictions. The quality of each trial was assessed according to the Cochrane Reviewers’ Handbook 5.0, and RevMan 5.0 provided by the Cochrane Collaboration.
A total of 17 RCTs involving 1,778 patients were included. Meta-analysis showed that there was no significant difference between SXC and antihypertensive agents on systolic blood pressure [mean difference (MD): −0.10 [−4.83, 4.63]; P=0.97] and diastolic blood pressure (MD: 1.00 [−1.16, 3.16]; P=0.36), but SXC combined with antihypertensive drugs was more effective in lowering systolic blood pressure (MD: −6.17 [−7.86, −4.49]; P<0.00001) and diastolic blood pressure (MD: −7.24 [−8.62, −5.85]; P<0.00001) compared with the antihypertensive drugs alone.
SXC used alone or combined with antihypertensive drugs appear to be an effective treatment for lowering elevated blood pressure and improving symptoms in patients with primary hypertension. However, the conclusion cannot be drawn definitely due to the poor quality of the included studies. There is still an urgent need for well-designed, long-term studies to address the benefits of SXC for treating primary hypertension.
KeywordsSongling Xuemaikang Capsule primary hypertension Chinese patent medicine systematic review randomized controlled trials
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Ramsay LE, Wallis EJ, Yeo WW, Jackson PR. Absolute and relative risk in hypertension. In: Bulpitt CJ, ed. Handbook of hypertension. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science BV; 2000:43–57.Google Scholar
- 13.Huang ZG, Zhang NB. Effect of puerarin on structure and function of thoracic aorta in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Chin J Pharmacol Toxic (Chin) 2012;26:595–601.Google Scholar
- 15.Kwak CS, Moon SC, Lee MS. Antioxidant, antimutagenic, and antitumor effects of pine needles (Pinus densiflora) preview. Nutrit Cancer 2009;18:162–171.Google Scholar
- 17.Xiao MF, Zhou D. Effects of “Huoxue Qianyang Granule” on renin-angiotensin system in plasma of spontaneous hypertensive rats. Shanghai J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2007;41:59–61.Google Scholar
- 18.Wan WH, Xiong WB, Zhu L. The antihypertensive effect and mechanism of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule on spontaneously hypertensive rats. Sichuan J Physiol Sci (Chin) 2005;27:133–144.Google Scholar
- 20.Higgins JPT, Green S. Corchrane reviewers’ handbook 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. Review Manager (RevMan) [Computer program]. Version 5.1.0.Google Scholar
- 21.Shen M. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule in combination with amlodipine on patients with senile hypertension. J Pract Med (Chin) 2012;28:1711–1712.Google Scholar
- 22.Ge CY. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule in combination with amlodipine on patients with senile hypertension. Chin J Integr Med Cardio-/Cerebrovasc Dis (Chin) 2012;10:515–517.Google Scholar
- 23.Wang Q, Qiao K. The comparison of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule and nifedipine on treating primary hypertension. West China J Pharmac Sci 2006;1:107–108.Google Scholar
- 24.Li YD, Liu D, Dong CH. Effects of Songling Xuemaikang Capule on heart rate variability of patients with hypertension. J Clin Electrocardiol (Chin) 2011;5:354–356.Google Scholar
- 25.Li H. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule combined with valsartan in patients with hypertension. Chin J Integr Med Cardio-/Cerebrovasc Dis (Chin) 2011;9:911–912.Google Scholar
- 26.Yin BD. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule combined with losartan on 76 cases of primary hypertension. Med Inform (Chin) 2011;24:4926–4927.Google Scholar
- 28.Wang FQ. The efficacy of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule combined with amlodipine on reduction of blood pressure variability on patients with primary hypertension. Jilin J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2011;31:149–150.Google Scholar
- 29.Xu LR, Gao XW, Chen JX. Clinical effect of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule on 180 patients in excess liver-yang with elderly hypertension. Fujian J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2010;41:45–46.Google Scholar
- 30.Li XY, Du YB, Chen WL. Effects of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule on blood pressure and left ventricular hypertrophy in patients with elderly hypertension. Yunnan J Tradit Chin Med Mater Med (Chin) 2009;30:10–12.Google Scholar
- 31.Liu J. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule combined with benazepril in the treatment of non-dipper hypertension. Med J Commun (Chin) 2007;21:648–649.Google Scholar
- 32.He ZM, Liang YR. Discussion of valsartan combined with Songling Xuemaikang Capsule on treatment of primary hypertension. Pract J Cardiac Cerebral Pneumal Vasc Dis (Chin) 2006;14:968–969.Google Scholar
- 33.Wang Q, Qiao K. The comparison of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule with nifedipine GITS on treatment of primary hypertension. West China J Pharmac Sci (Chin) 2006;21:107–108.Google Scholar
- 34.Weng JL, Zhang FW. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule combined with losartan potassium in patients with excess liver-yang and hypertension. Chin General Pract (Chin) 2005;8:933–935.Google Scholar
- 35.Wang F, Kang J. Clinicla observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule on primary hypertension. China Naturop (Chin) 2004;12:57–59.Google Scholar
- 36.Chen WQ, Chen FR. Effects of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule combined with captopril on the quality of life of patients with primary hypertension. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2001;21:660–662.Google Scholar
- 37.Wang YT, Guo YG. Clinical observation of Songling Xuemaikang Capsule on treatment of hypertension. Strait Pharmac J (Chin) 1997;9:37–38.Google Scholar
- 39.Xiong XJ, Yang XC, Liu W, Chu FY, Wang PQ, Wang J. Trends in the treatment of hypertension from the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine. Evid Based Complem Altern Med 2013; 1–13, Article ID 275279.Google Scholar
- 40.Wang J, Xiong XJ, Zhang YQ, Liu YM, Zhang Y, Zhang ZP, et al. Chinese herbal medicine qi ju di huang wan for the treatment of essential hypertension: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Evid Based Complemt Alternat Med 2013;2013:262685.Google Scholar