Effect of Chlorophytum Borivilianum Santapau and Fernandes on sexual dysfunction in hyperglycemic male rats
- 132 Downloads
To investigate the effects of Chlorophytum borivilianum (CB) on sexual dysfunction, loss of body weight, and lack of libido in hyperglycemic rats induced with streptozotocin or alloxan.
Wistar strain male albino rats were divided into five groups of six animals each: the control group (2% polyvinylpyrollidone solution), the streptozotocin control group (50 mg/kg), the alloxan control group (100 mg/kg), the streptozotocin + CB treated group (200 mg/kg), and the alloxan + CB treated group (200 mg/kg). Only after confirming the induction of diabetes, the animals of test groups were treated with CB. The sexual behavior of male rats of in presence of female rat in a special cage was recorded. The effects of induced diabetes in control groups and on simultaneous extract treatment in CB treated groups were tested for sexual parameters. The parameters evaluated included mount, ejaculation, and intromission latencies/frequencies, hesitation time, and penile erection index. Parallel to this, using a separate set of similarly treated animals, the influence of diabetes and CB treatment on anabolism and weight of secondary sexual organs were determined on day 0 and day 28 of the treatment.
CB extract treatment ameliorated the diabetes-induced dysfunction at 200 mg/kg dose. There was very low weight loss (P<0.05) in CB-treated animals as compared to the diabetic control. There was a very high latency time (P<0.05) in the diabetic animals, whereas the latency time was very low in CB-treated animals. Mount, intromission, and ejaculation frequencies were very high (P<0.01) in CB-treated animals, while streptozotocin and alloxan groups animals had a very significantly lower sexual behavior (P<0.05) compared to the normo-glycemic control group animals.
CB can significantly ameliorate diabetes-induced sexual dysfunction. Polysaccharide and saponin-rich aqueous extract appears to have the most suitable effects on diabetes and its associated effects on sexual functionality.
Key Wordsayurvedic rasayana Chlorophytum borivilianum diabetes induced sexual dysfunction Safed Musli
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Puri HS, ed. Rasayana—ayurvedic herbs for longevity and rejuvenation. London: Taylor and Francis; 2003:212–224.Google Scholar
- 9.Triveni A, ed. Rasendrasarasangrah: Vajikaranadhikar. Rajkot: Nutan Press; 1975:617–643.Google Scholar
- 10.Mishra SN, ed. Bhaisajya ratnavali. 1st ed. Varanasi: Chaukambha Surbharti Prakashan; 2005:1008–133.Google Scholar
- 12.Thakur M, Dixit VK. Effect of Chlorophytum borivilianum on androgenic and sexual behavior in male rats. Indian Drugs 2006;43:300–306.Google Scholar
- 16.Govindrajan R, Sreevidya N, Vijaykumar M, Thakur M, Dixit VK, Mehrotra S, et al. In vitro antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of Chlorophytum borivilianum. Nat Prod Sci 2005;11:165–169.Google Scholar
- 17.Saxena S, Dixit VK. Role of total alkaloids of Mucuna pruriens Baker. in spermatogenesis in male rats. Indian J Nat Prod 1987;3:3–7.Google Scholar