Compressor and Turbine Multidisciplinary Design for Highly Efficient Micro-gas Turbine
Multidisciplinary design optimization (MDO) is widely employed to enhance turbomachinery components efficiency. The aim of this work is to describe a complete tool for the aero-mechanical design of a radial inflow turbine and a centrifugal compressor. The high rotational speed of such machines and the high exhaust gas temperature (only for the turbine) expose blades to really high stresses and therefore the aerodynamics design has to be coupled with the mechanical one through an integrated procedure. The described approach employs a fully 3D Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) solver for the aerodynamics and an open source Finite Element Analysis (FEA) solver for the mechanical integrity assessment.
Due to the high computational cost of both these two solvers, a meta model, such as an artificial neural network (ANN), is used to speed up the optimization design process. The interaction between two codes, the mesh generation and the post processing of the results are achieved via in-house developed scripting modules. The obtained results are widely presented and discussed.
KeywordsMicro-gas turbine Multidisciplinary Optimization Centrifugal Compressor Centripetal Turbine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barsi D., Perrone A., Ratto L., Simoni D., Zunino P. Radial inflow turbine design through Multidisciplinary optimization technique. ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition GT2015 Montreal, Canada, June 15–19: 2015.Google Scholar
- Zunino P. Advanced design of micro-gas-turbines for distributed co-generation, Invited Lecture at Next Turbine, Shanghai, China, 2015.Google Scholar
- GTcycle, https://github.com/ampsolutions/gtcycle (accessed 2 February 2017).Google Scholar
- Cumpsty N. A.. Compressor aerodynamics, Longman Scientific & Technical, England, 1989.Google Scholar
- Casey M., Gersbach F., Robinson C. An optimization technique for radial compressor impellers. ASME Turbo Expo 2008, Berlin, Germany, June 9–13, 2008: 2401–2411.Google Scholar
- Whitfield A, Baines N. C.. Design of radial turbomachines, Longman Scientific & Technical, 1990.Google Scholar
- Rohlik H. E., Radial-inflow turbines, Glassmann A J (Editor). Turbine design and application, 1975, NASA SP 290, 3.Google Scholar
- Cox G. D., Fischer C., Casey M. V. The application of through flow optimisation to the design of radial and mixed flow turbines. 9th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, 2010, London: 217–226.Google Scholar
- NUMECA, User manuals. Academic R&D license 2017.Google Scholar
- Hirsch C., Lacor C., Rizzi A., Eliasson P., Lindblad I., Haeuser J. A multiblock/multigrid code for the efficient solution of complex 3D Navier-Stokes flows. Aerothermodynamics for Space Vehicles 1, 1991, SEE N92-14973 06-02: 415–420.Google Scholar
- CALCULIX, A Free Software Three-Dimensional Structural Finite Element Program, https://www.calculix.de (accessed 23 November 2016).Google Scholar