SAR image coregistration using fringe definition detection
- 192 Downloads
In order to overcome the limitation of cross correlation coregistration method for Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) interferometric pairs with low coherence, a new image coregistration algorithm based on Fringe Definition Detection (FDD) is presented in this paper. The Fourier transformation was utilized to obtain spectrum characteristics of interferometric fringes. The ratio between spectrum mean and peak was proposed as the evaluation index for identifying homologous pixels from interferometric images. The satellites ERS-1/2 C-band SAR acquisitions covering the Yangtze River plain delta, eastern China and ALOS/PALSAR L-band images over the Longmen Shan mountainous area, southwestern China were respectively employed in the experiment to validate the proposed coregistration method. The testing results suggested that the derived Digital Elevation Model (DEM) from FDD method had good agreement with that from the cross correlation method as well as the reference DEM at high coherence area. However, The FDD method achieved a totally improved topographic mapping accuracy by 24 percent in comparison to the cross correlation method. The FDD method also showed better robustness and achieved relatively higher performance for SAR image coregistration in mountainous areas with low coherence.
KeywordsSAR image coregistration Spectrum characteristics Fringe definition detection Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) Accuracy assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen Q, Liu GX, Li YS (2006) Comparison and evaluation on accuracy in satellite InSAR DEM derived using coarse and precise orbit data. Journal of remote sensing 10(4): 475–481. (In Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Ding XL, Liu GX, Li ZW, et al. (2004) Ground subsidence monitoring in Hong Kong with satellite SAR interferometry. Photogrammetry Engineering & Remote Sensing 70(10): 1151–1156.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez RC, Woods RE (2003) Digital image processing Second Edition. Publishing House of Electronics Industry.Google Scholar
- Kampes BM, Hanssen RF, Perski Z (2003) Radar Interferometry with Public Domain Tools. Proc. FRINGE 2003 Workshop, December 1–5, Frascati, Italy.Google Scholar
- Li N, Liu XM (2009) The characteristics analysis of image directionality in spatial domain and frequency domain. Computer and Information Technology 17(4): 22–24. (In Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Li ZX, Bethel James (2008) Image coregistration in SAR interferometry. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences XXXVII: 433–438.Google Scholar
- Liu GX, Ding XL, Li ZL, et al. (2001) Co-Registration of Satellite SAR Complex Images. Acta Geodaetica et Cartographica Sinica 30(1): 60–65. (In Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Martens G, Poppe C, Lambert P, et al. (2010) Noise- and compression-robust biological features for texture classification. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics: 915–922. DOI: 10.1007/s00371-010-0455-9Google Scholar
- Nitti DO, Hanssen RF, Reficec A (2008) Evaluation of DEM-assisted SAR coregistration. Image and Signal Processing for Remote Sensing 7109(XIV): 1–14. DOI: 10.1117/12.802767Google Scholar
- Singhroy V, Couture R, Molch K, et al (2006). InSAR Monitoring of post-Landslide activity. Proceedings, Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, IEEE International Conference, 1635–1638. DOI: 10.1109/IGARSS.2006.422Google Scholar
- Zeng QM, Xie XT (2004) A FFT-based complex correlation function method applied to interferometric complex image corregistration. Acta Geodaetica et Cartographica Sinica 33(2): 127–131. (In Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar