Entrustment and Mapping of Observable Practice Activities for Resident Assessment
- 1.3k Downloads
Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) and the Next Accreditation System reporting milestones reduce general competencies into smaller evaluable parts. However, some EPAs and reporting milestones may be too broad to use as direct assessment tools. We describe our internal medicine residency curriculum and assessment system, which uses entrustment and mapping of observable practice activities (OPAs) for resident assessment. We created discrete OPAs for each resident rotation and learning experience. In combination, these serve as curricular foundation and tools for assessment. OPA performance is measured via a 5-point entrustment scale, and mapped to milestones and EPAs. Entrustment ratings of OPAs provide an opportunity for immediate structured feedback of specific clinical skills, and mapping OPAs to milestones and EPAs can be used for longitudinal assessment, promotion decisions, and reporting. Direct assessment and demonstration of progressive entrustment of trainee skill over time are important goals for all training programs. Systems that use OPAs mapped to milestones and EPAs provide the opportunity for achieving both, but require validation.
KEY WORDSresident assessment milestones entrustable professional activities medical education
The authors would like to thank Alisa N. Strauss PhD. for assistance with preparation of the figures.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they do not have a conflict of interest.
- 6.Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. Internal medicine end of training EPAs. http://www.im.org/AcademicAffairs/milestones/Pages/EndofTrainingEPAs.aspx. Accessed 2 Jan 2014.
- 12.Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. https://www.ranzcp.org/Files/ranzcp-attachments/PreFellowship/2012-Fellowship-Program/EPA-Handbook.aspx. Accessed 2 Jan 2014.
- 13.Association of Pediatric Program Directors. Important points about “Entrustable professional activities(EPAs) https://www.appd.org/home/PDF/Newborn_EPA_mapped_to_MilestonesVignettes_for_APPDmembers.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2014.
- 14.University of Cincinnati Internal Medicine Residency. Curriculum 2012-13. http://intmed.uc.edu/Libraries/Documents/IM_Residency_Program_Curriculum_2012-2013.sflb.ashx. Accessed 2 Jan 2014.
- 15.University of Cincinnati Internal Medicine Residency. Curriculum 2013-14. http://intmed.uc.edu/Libraries/Documents/Curriculum_2013-2014_FINAL_8-29-13_1.sflb.ashx. Accessed 2 Jan 2014.
- 16.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The internal medicine milestone project. http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/InternalMedicineMilestones.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2014.