Development of a Safety Net Medical Home Scale for Clinics
Existing tools to measure patient-centered medical home (PCMH) adoption are not designed for research evaluation in safety-net clinics.
Develop a scale to measure PCMH adoption in safety-net clinics.
Sixty-five clinics in five states.
Fifty-two-item Safety Net Medical Home Scale (SNMHS). The total score ranges from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) and is an average of multiple subscales (0–100): Access and Communication, Patient Tracking and Registry, Care Management, Test and Referral Tracking, Quality Improvement, and External Coordination. The scale was tested for internal consistency reliability and tested for convergent validity using The Assessment of Chronic Illness Care (ACIC) and the Patient-Centered Medical Home Assessment (PCMH-A). The scale was applied to centers in the sample. In addition, linear regression models were used to measure the association between clinic characteristics and medical home adoption.
The SNMHS had high internal consistency reliability (Cronbach’s alpha = 0.84). The SNMHS score correlated moderately with the ACIC score (r = 0.64, p < 0.0001) and the PCMH-A (r = 0.56, p < 0.001). The mean SNMHS score was 61 ± SD 13. Among the subscales, External Coordination (66 ± 16) and Access and Communication (65 ± 14) had the highest mean scores, while Quality Improvement (55 ± 17) and Care Management (55 ± 16) had lower mean scores. Clinic characteristics positively associated with total SNMHS score were having more providers (β 15.8 95% CI 8.1–23.4 >8 provider FTEs compared to <4 FTEs) and participation in financial incentive programs (β 8.4 95% 1.6–15.3).
The SNMHS demonstrated reliability and convergent validity for measuring PCMH adoption in safety-net clinics. Some clinics have significant PCMH adoption. However, room for improvement exists in most domains, especially for clinics with fewer providers.
KEY WORDSmedical home community health center access to care quality of care
- 2.HRSA. 2009 National Total Summary Data. http://bphc.hrsa.gov/healthcenterdatastatistics/nationaldata/2009/2009nattotsumdata.html. Accessed June 5, 2011.
- 4.Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services Federally Qualified Health Center Advanced Primary Care Practice Demonstration. http://www.cms.gov/demoprojectsevalrpts/md/itemdetail.asp?itemid=CMS1230557. Accessed June 5, 2011.
- 11.National Committee for Quality Assurance Physician Practice Connection-Research. Obtained by e-mail from Sarah Scholle PhD 3/9/2011.Google Scholar
- 12.Patient Centered Medical Home Assessment. http://www.qhmedicalhome.org/safety-net/upload/PCHM-A_SNMHI_092710.pdf.
- 13.Doty M, Abrams M, Hernandez S, Stemikis K, Beal A. Enhancing the capacity of community health centers to achieve high performance: findings from the 2009 Commonwealth Fund National Survey of Federally Qualified Health Centers May 27, 2010.Google Scholar
- 14.Coleman K, Phillips K. Providing underserved patients with medical homes: assessing the readiness of safety-net health centers. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2010;85:1.Google Scholar
- 15.Calvo A, Rainsford B, Bezold C. Comprehensive Health Homes: Using the Expanded Care Model of the HRSA Health Disparities Collaboratives. Am J Public Health. In pressGoogle Scholar
- 16.The Safety Net Medical Home Initiative. http://www.qhmedicalhome.org/safety-net/index.cfm.
- 17.Change Concepts for Practice Transformation. Accessed June 5, 2011. http://www.qhmedicalhome.org/safety-net/change-concepts.cfm.
- 18.National Qualty ForumTM-Endorsed Definition And Framework For Measuring Care Coordination 2006.Google Scholar
- 21.The Commonwealth Fund 2009 Survey of Health Clinics Involved in the Safety Net Medical Home Initiative. http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Content/Innovations/Tools/2011/~/media/Files/Innovations/CMWF_SurveyFinal722.pdf.
- 22.National Committee for Quality Assurance: Physician Practice Connections-Patient-Centered Medical Home Standard and Guidelines. Washington, DC. 2008.Google Scholar
- 23.National Committee for Quality Assurance: Standards for the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) 2011. http://www.ncqa.org/Portals/0/Programs/Recognition/2011PCMHbrochure_web.pdf.
- 24.Safety Net Medical Home Scale (SNMHS) with Exact Questions and Scoring Algorithm. http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Content/Innovations/Tools/2011/~/media/Files/Innovations/Safety%20Net%20Medical%20Home%20ScaleFinal722.pdf.
- 28.HRSA. Health Resources and Services Administration: Health Center Program. http://bphc.hrsa.gov/about/. Accessed June 5, 2011.
- 29.Doty M, Abrams M, Hernandez S, Stemikis K, Beal A. Enhancing the capacity of community health centers to achieve high performance: findings from the 2009 Commonwealth Fund National Survey of Federally Qualified Health Centers May 27, 2010 2010.Google Scholar