Early Mortality Risk Score: Identification of Poor Outcomes Following Upfront Surgery for Resectable Pancreatic Cancer
Identifying pancreatic cancer patients at high risk of early mortality following pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) is important for treatment decisions in a multidisciplinary setting. This study examines the preoperative predictors of early mortality following PD and combines these variables into an early mortality risk score (EMRS).
Medical records of patients who underwent PD for pancreatic adenocarcinoma at the Johns Hopkins Hospital between 30 August 1993 and 28 February 2005 were reviewed. Cox proportional hazards analysis was performed to identify predictors of early mortality, defined as death at 9 and 12 months. EMRS was constructed from univariate associated risk factors (age >75 years, tumor size ≥3cm, poor differentiation, co-morbid diseases) with each factor assigned 1 point (range of 0-4). EMRS was evaluated as an independent predictor of death at 9 and 12 months.
On univariate analysis, risk factors for death at 9 months included age ≥75 years (RR, 1.6; p = .009), comorbid disease (RR, 1.5; p = 0.020), tumor ≥3 cm (RR, 1.4; P = 0.050), and poor differentiation (RR, 2.1; P < 0.001). EMRS was associated with early mortality among those who did (p = 0.038) and did not receive adjuvant treatment (p < 0.001). A modified EMRS without tumor differentiation was also associated with early mortality (p < 0.001). Results persisted when reanalyzed using death at 12 months.
EMRS may identify patients at risk of early mortality following PD who may be candidates for alternatively sequenced treatment protocols. Prospective validation of this EMRS is needed.
KeywordsEarly mortality Risk score Resectable Pancreatic adenocarcinoma
- 8.Foo ML, Gunderson LL, Nagorney DM, McLlrath DC, van Heerden JA, Robinow JS, Kvols LK, Garton GR, Martenson JA, Cha SS. Patterns of failure in grossly resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma treated with adjuvant irradiation +/- 5 fluorouracil. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1993;26:483–489.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Katz MH, Wang H, Fleming JB, Sun CC, Hwang RF, Wolff RA, Varadhachary G, Abbruzzese JL, Crane CH, Krishnan S, Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Evans DB. Long-term survival after multidisciplinary management of resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2009;16:836–847.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Breslin TM, Hess KR, Harbison DB, Jean ME, Cleary KR, Dackiw AP, Wolff RA, Abbruzzese JL, Janjan NA, Crane CH, Vauthey JN, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Evans DB. Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy for adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: treatment variables and survival duration. Ann Surg Oncol 2001;8:123–132.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.White RR, Xie HB, Gottfried MR, Czito BG, Hurwitz HI, Morse MA, Blobe GC, Paulson EK, Baillie J, Branch MS, Jowell PS, Clary BM, Pappas TN, Tyler DS. Significance of histological response to preoperative chemoradiotherapy for pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2005;12:214–221.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Evans DB, Varadhachary GR, Crane CH, Sun CC, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Vauthey JN, Wang H, Cleary KR, Staerkel GA, Charnsangavej C, Lano EA, Ho L, Lenzi R, Abbruzzese JL, Wolff RA. Preoperative gemcitabine-based chemoradiation for patients with resectable adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:3496–3502.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Herman JM, Swartz MJ, Hsu CC, Winter J, Pawlik TM, Sugar E, Robinson R, Laheru DA, Jaffee E, Hruban RH, Campbell KA, Wolfgang CL, Asrari F, Donehower R, Hidalgo M, Diaz LA Jr, Yeo C, Cameron JL, Schulick RD, Abrams R. Analysis of fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation after pancreaticoduodenectomy for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: results of a large, prospectively collected database at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:3503–3510.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Yeo CJ, Abrams RA, Grochow LB, Sohn TA, Ord SE, Hruban RH, Zahurak ML, Dooley WC, Coleman J, Sauter PK, Pitt HA, Lillemoe KD, Cameron JL. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: postoperative adjuvant chemoradiation improves survival. A prospective, single-institution experience. Ann Surg 1997;225:621–633.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Klein JP, Moeschberger ML. Survival analysis: techniques for censored and truncated data. New York, New York: Springer-Verlag, 2003.Google Scholar
- 19.Cox DR, Oakes D. Analysis of Survival Data. London: Chapman and Hall, 1984.Google Scholar
- 21.Klinkenbijl JH, Jeekel J, Sahmoud T, van Pel R, Couvreur ML, Veenhof CH, Arnaud JP, Gonzalez DG, de Wit LT, Hennipman A, Wils J. Adjuvant radiotherapy and 5-fluorouracil after curative resection of cancer of the pancreas and periampullary region: phase III trial of the EORTC gastrointestinal tract cancer cooperative group. Ann Surg 1999;230:776–782.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Corsini MM, Miller RC, Haddock MG, Donohue JH, Farnell MB, Nagorney DM, Jatoi A, McWilliams RR, Kim GP, Bhatia S, Iott MJ, Gunderson LL. Adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy for pancreatic carcinoma: the Mayo Clinic experience (1975–2005). J Clin Oncol 2008;26:3511–3516.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Varadhachary GR, Wolff RA, Crane CH, Sun CC, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Vauthey JN, Abdalla E, Wang H, Staerkel GA, Lee JH, Ross WA, Tamm EP, Bhosale PR, Krishnan S, Das P, Ho L, Xiong H, Abbruzzese JL, Evans DB. Preoperative gemcitabine and cisplatin followed by gemcitabine-based chemoradiation for resectable adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:3487–3495.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Allendorf JD, Lauerman M, Bill A, DiGiorgi M, Goetz N, Vakiani E, Remotti H, Schrope B, Sherman W, Hall M, Fine RL, Chabot JA. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radiation for patients with locally unresectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma: feasibility, efficacy, and survival. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12:91–100.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Arvold ND, Niemierko A, Mamon HJ, Fernandez-del Castillo C, Hong TS. Pancreatic cancer tumor size on CT scan versus pathologic specimen: Implications for radiation treatment planning. Int J Radiat Oncol Bios Phys 2010; epub accessed November 1, 2010.Google Scholar
- 31.NCCN Practice Guidelins in Oncology (NCCN GuidelinesTM) Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma, v 1. 2010, www.nccn.org.