Radiofrequency Ablation vs. Resection for Hepatic Colorectal Metastasis: Therapeutically Equivalent?
The role of ablation for hepatic colorectal metastases (HCM) continues to evolve as ablation technology changes and systemic chemotherapy improves. Our aim was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy of radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of HCM compared to surgical resection.
A retrospective review of our 1,105 patient prospective hepatic database from August 1995 to July 2007 identified 192 patients with only hepatic resection or only ablation for HCM.
Patients who underwent RFA were similar to resection patients based on a similar Fong score (1.8 vs. 2.1 p = 0.28), presence of extrahepatic disease (15% vs. 9% p = 0.19), mean number of hepatic lesions (2.8 vs. 2.1 p = 0.14), and prior chemotherapy (67% vs. 60% p = 0.33). Median time to recurrence was shorter with ablation than resection (12.2 vs. 31.1 months; p < 0.001). Recurrence at the ablation–resection site was more common with ablation than resection occurring 17% vs. 2% (p ≤ 0.001) of the time, respectively. Distant recurrence in the liver was also more common with ablation occurring in 33% of patients vs. 14% for resection (p = 0.002).
Surgical resection is associated with a lower chance of recurrence and a longer disease-free interval than RFA and should remain the treatment of choice in resectable HCM.
KeywordsRadio frequency ablation Hepatic resection Colorectal liver metastasis
- 3.Couinaud C. Le Foi: Etudes Anatomogiques et Chirugicales. Paris: Masson, 1957.Google Scholar
- 11.Abdalla EK, Vauthey JN, Ellis LM, Ellis V, Pollock R, Broglio KR, et al. Recurrence and outcomes following hepatic resection, radiofrequency ablation, and combined resection/ablation for colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg 2004;239:818–825. doi:10.1097/01.sla.0000128305.90650.71.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Machi J, Oishi AJ, Sumida K, Sakamoto K, Furumoto NL, Oishi RH, et al. Long-term outcome of radiofrequency ablation for unresectable liver metastases from colorectal cancer: evaluation of prognostic factors and effectiveness in first- and second-line management. Cancer J 2006;12:318–326. doi:10.1097/00130404-200607000-00011.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.van Duijnhoven FH, Jansen MC, Junggeburt JM, van Hillegersberg R, Rijken AM, van Coevorden F, van dS Jr, et al. Factors influencing the local failure rate of radiofrequency ablation of colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 2006;13:651–658. doi:10.1245/ASO.2006.08.014.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kokudo N, Miki Y, Sugai S, Yanagisawa A, Kato Y, Sakamoto Y, et al. Genetic and histological assessment of surgical margins in resected liver metastases from colorectal carcinoma: minimum surgical margins for successful resection. Arch Surg 2002;137:833–840. doi:10.1001/archsurg.137.7.833.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar