Experiments on virtual private network design with concave capacity costs
- 167 Downloads
For the first time in the literature, this paper considers computational aspects of concave cost virtual private network design problems. It introduces careful bound tightening mechanisms and computationally demonstrates how such bound tightening could impressively improve convex relaxations of the problem. It turns out that, incorporating such bound tightening with a general solution approach could significantly enhance the behavior of the solution approach over the problem.
KeywordsVirtual private network design Concave costs Bound tightening Spatial branch and bound
We would like to thank the anonymous referees for a careful reading and constructive suggestions.
- 6.Gupta, A., Kleinberg, J., Kumar, A., Rastogi, R., Yener, B.: Provisioning a virtual private network: a network design problem for multicommodity flow. In: Proceedings of 33th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC), Greece, Crete, pp. 389–398 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.IBM: IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio. http://www.cplex.com
- 12.Rothvoß, T., Sanitá, L.: On the complexity of the asymmetric VPN problem. In: International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization Problems (APPROX), pp. 326–338, Springer (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Orlowski, S., Pioro, M., Tomaszewski, A., Wessaly, R.: SNDlib 1.0 survivable network design library. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Network Optimization Conference (INOC 2007), Spa, Belgium (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.SCIP Solving Constraint Integer Programs. http://www.scip.zib.de
- 17.Vigerske, S.: Decomposition in multistage stochastic programming and a constraint integer programming approach to mixed-integer nonlinear programming. Humboldt-Universität Berlin, PhD diss (2012)Google Scholar