Integer programming models and linearizations for the traveling car renter problem
- 237 Downloads
The traveling car renter problem (CaRS) is an extension of the classical traveling salesman problem (TSP) where different cars are available for use during the salesman’s tour. In this study we present three integer programming formulations for CaRS, of which two have quadratic objective functions and the other has quadratic constraints. The first model with a quadratic objective function is grounded on the TSP interpreted as a special case of the quadratic assignment problem in which the assignment variables refer to visitation orders. The second model with a quadratic objective function is based on the Gavish and Grave’s formulation for the TSP. The model with quadratic constraints is based on the Dantzig–Fulkerson–Johnson’s formulation for the TSP. The formulations are linearized and implemented in two solvers. An experiment with 50 instances is reported.
KeywordsTraveling car renter problem Traveling salesman Integer programming Combinatorial optimization
The researches of M. C. Goldbarg and E. F. G. Goldbarg are partially supported by CNPq (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico), Brazil, under Grants 301845/2013-1 and 308062/2014-0. The research of L. Corrales is partially supported by CONICET (Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas Y Técnicas).
- 1.Czerny, A.I., Shi, Z., Zhang, A.: Can market power be controlled by regulation of core prices alone? An empirical analysis of airport demand and car rental price. Transp. Res. Part A 91, 260–272 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Felipe, D., Goldbarg, E.F.G., Goldbarg, M.C.: Scientific algorithms for the car renter salesman problem. In: Proceedings of the IEEE CEC 2014 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 1, pp. 873–879 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Fontem, B.: An optimal stopping policy for car rental businesses with purchasing customers. Ann. Oper. Res. (2016). doi: 10.1007/s10479-016-2240-2
- 6.Gavish, B., Graves, S.C.: The Travelling Salesman Problem and Related Problems, Working paper GR-078-78, Operations Research Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1978)Google Scholar
- 13.Lazov, I.: Profit management of car rental companies. Eur. J. Oper. Res. (2016). doi: 10.1016/j.ejor.2016.08.064
- 17.Oliveira, B.B., Caravilla, M.A., Oliveira, J.F.: Fleet and revenue management in a car rental companies: a literature review and an integrated conceptual framework. Omega (2016). doi: 10.1016/j.omega.2016.08.011
- 20.Robert, F.: Applications de lálgebre de Boole en recherche opérationelle. Revue Française de Recherche Opérationelle 14, 17–26 (1960)Google Scholar
- 22.The Global Car Rental Industry 2016–2021: Trends, Forecast and Opportunity Analysis 2016, February 2016, LucintelGoogle Scholar