Maximizing concave piecewise affine functions on the unitary group
- 105 Downloads
We show that a convex relaxation, introduced by Sridharan, McEneaney, Gu and James to approximate the value function of an optimal control problem arising from quantum gate synthesis, is exact. This relaxation applies to the maximization of a class of concave piecewise affine functions over the unitary group.
KeywordsConvex relaxation Unitary group Optimal control Quantum control Approximate dynamic programming
Z. Qu carried out parts of this work when she was with INRIA and CMAP, École Polytechnique, CNRS and subsequently with the School of Mathematics of University of Edinburgh. S. Sridharan carried out part of this work when he was with UMA, ENSTA, Palaiseau, France. S. Gaubert and Z. Qu were partially supported by the PGMO Program of FMJH and EDF, and by the program “Ingénierie Numérique & Sécurité” of the French National Agency of Research, Project “MALTHY”, Number ANR-13-INSE-0003.
- 2.Ben-Tal, A., Nemirovski, A.: Lectures on Modern Convex Optimization: Analysis, Algorithms, and Engineering Applications. In: MPS/SIAM Series on Optimization. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)/Mathematical Programming Society (MPS), Philadelphia (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Gaubert, S., McEneaney, W.M., Qu, Z.: Curse of dimensionality reduction in max-plus based approximation methods: theoretical estimates and improved pruning algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference (CDC-ECC 11), pp. 1054–1061. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Gaubert, S., Qu, Z., Sridharan, S.: Bundle-based pruning in the max-plus curse of dimensionality free method. In: 21st International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems, Groningen, The Netherlands (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.McEneaney, W.M.: Complexity reduction, cornices and pruning. In: Tropical and Idempotent Mathematics. Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 495, pp. 293–303. American Mathematical Society, Providence (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.McEneaney, W.M., Deshpande, A., Gaubert, S.: Curse-of-complexity attenuation in the curse-of-dimensionality-free method for HJB PDEs. In: Proceedings of the 2008 American Control Conference, pp. 4684–4690, Seattle, Washington, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.McEneaney, W.M., Kluberg, L.J.: Convergence rate for a curse-of-dimensionality-free method for a class of HJB PDEs. SIAM J. Control Optim. 48(5), 3052–3079 (2009/2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Sridharan, S., McEneaney, W.M.: Deterministic filtering for optimal attitude estimation on SO(3) using max-plus methods. In: Proceedings of the European Control Conference ECC 2013, Zurich, pp. 2220–2225 (2013)Google Scholar