Study on the variation characteristics of the geoelectric field preceding earthquakes
- 32 Downloads
Earthquake events occurred in Nantong, Jiangsu Province on Nov. 3, and Dec. 25, 2001 in which the biggest magnitudes were M L=3.8 and M L=4.1, respectively. This paper firstly explains the principle of the eliminating noise method by the multi-dipole observation system of geoelectric field. Then based on the observation data of the multi-dipole observation system obtained by ZD9A telluric current monitors installed in Chongming and Nanjing stations, we study the abnormal variation of the geoelectric field preceding the earthquakes. The study shows that: a) Eliminating noise method of multi-dipole observation is an excellent method by which many kinds of geoelectric field noises can be eliminated successfully and the geoelectric precursor information can be recognized; b) The geoelectric precursor signals for the events were recorded on the NS and NE dipoles in Chongming station 42 days, 20 days and 2 days before the earthquakes respectively, in which the station is near the epicenter, and the longest time of persisting period was 9 days. The abnormal variation signals of geoelectric field observed in Nanjing station are all the noises but not the seismic electric signals, in which the station is not near the epicenter; c) Dipole distribution method of common electrode is not good in the multi-dipole observation system of the geoelectric field.
Key wordsearthquake geoelectric field multi-dipole observation system eliminating noise method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kinoshita M, Uyeshima M, Uyeda S. 1989. Earthquake prediction research by means of telluric potential monitoring. Progress Rep. 1: Installation of monitoring network [J]. Bull Earthq Res Inst, 64: 255–311.Google Scholar
- MA Qin-zhong, QIAN Jia-dong. 2003. The influence of inhomogeneous geoelectric structure on the signals of geoelectric field [J]. Earthquake, 23(1): 1–7 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- MAO Tong-en, XI Ji-lou, WANG Yan-qiong, et al. 1999. The variation characteristics of the telluric field in the process of earthquake [J]. Chinese J Geophys, 42(4): 519–528 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- QIAN Fu-ye, ZHAO Yu-lin, LU Jun, et al. 1998. System discrimination of week instability for pore pressure and short-impending term precursor [A]. In: SHI Te-lin eds. Development and Prospect for Earthquake Geoelectricity [C]. Lanzhou: Lanzhou University Press, 151–155 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- RUAN Ai-guo, ZHAO He-yun. 2000. Recognize seismic anomaly of telluric field by data projection vertical to the polarization [J]. Acta Seismologica Sinica, 13(2): 189–194.Google Scholar
- Varotsos P, Alexopoulous K, Nomicos K. 1981. Seismic electric currents [J]. Prakt Akad Athenon, 56: 277–286.Google Scholar
- ZHAO Yu-lin, QIAN Fu-ye, 1981. Impending earthquake period of telluric field [J]. Earthquake, 3(2): 13–16 (in Chinese).Google Scholar