Variation of shearwave splitting in earthquake clusters with very similar waveforms
- 18 Downloads
Among the records of aftershock observation of the 1991 Datong, China M L=5.8 earthquake, very similar waveforms from clusters of small earthquakes were found. Cross-correlation of the waveforms of each pair in the cluster confirmed the similarities. Re-sample technology is used to improve the sampling rate, which is helpful to distinguish the small variation of shear wave splitting. The variation of shear wave splitting could be found directly from seismograms of each pair in a cluster.
Key wordsearthquake cluster shearwave splitting Datong
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aster R C, Shearer P M, Berger J. 1990. Quantitative measurements of shear wave polarizations at the Anza seismic network, Southern California: Implication for shear wave splitting and earthquake prediction [J]. J Geophys Res, 95(B8): 12 449–12 473.Google Scholar
- Booth D C, Crampin S, Lovell J H, et al. 1990. Temporal changes in shear-wave splitting during an earthquake swarm in Arkansas [J]. J Geophys Res, 95: 11 151–11 164.Google Scholar
- CHEN Tian-chang, Booth D C, Crampin S. 1987. Shear-wave polarization near the North Anatolian fault, III, Observations of temporal changes [J]. Geophys J R astr Soc, 91: 287–311.Google Scholar
- Crampin S. 1978. Seismic-wave propagation through a cracked solid: polarization as a possible dilatancy diagnostic [J]. Geophys J R astr Soc, 53: 467–496.Google Scholar
- Crampin S. 1987. The basis for earthquake prediction [J]. Geophys J R astr Soc, 91: 331–347.Google Scholar
- Crampin S, Booth D C, Evans R, et al. 1990. Changes in shear wave splitting at Anza near the time of the North Palm Springs earthquake [J]. J Geophys Res, 95(B7): 11 197–11 212.Google Scholar
- Crampin S, Evans R, Atkinson B K. 1984. Earthquake prediction: A new physical basis [J]. Geophys J R astr Soc, 76: 147–156.Google Scholar
- Peacock S, Crampin S, Booth D C, et al. 1988. Shear wave splitting in the Anza seismic gap, southern California: Temporal variation as possible precursor [J]. J Geophys Res, 93: 3 339–3 356.Google Scholar
- WANG Pei-de, WANG Ming. 1993. The Datong, Shanxi Province, China Earthquake, of October, 1989 and March, 1991, Continental Earthquakes [M]. Beijing: Seismological Press, 153–155 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- YAO Chen, WANG Pei-de, LU Yu-mei, et al. 1993. Interpretation of shear-wave splitting in Datong area, North China [J]. Canada J Explo Geophys, 29: 341–351.Google Scholar