Relationship between regional stress field variation and earthquake activities from GPS data
- 25 Downloads
The relationship between the earth stress field, earth surface displacement field and the gravity variation is deduced. Algorithms based on the boundary element method to compute the earth stress variation using the earth surface displacement is discussed. The stress field variation in Jiashi region, Xinjiang, China is obtained from the GPS data observed in 1997 and 1998, respectively, and the relationship among the local stress field variation, seismic activities and fault tectonic activities is discussed.
Key wordsGPS data boundary integral method crustal stress field seismic activities
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brebbia C A. 1983. Progress in Boundary Element Methods. Vol.2 [M]. London: Pentech Press, 303.Google Scholar
- HUANG Li-ren, GUO Liang-qian. 1998. The feature and model of the crustal horizontal movement in North China—The preliminary analyses of GPS data [J]. Crustal Deformation and Earthquake, 18(2): 20–27 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- REN Qing-wen, YU Tian-tang. 1999. The theory and computing model of block element method [J]. Engineering Mechanics, 16(1): 68–77 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- SHI Geng-hua, Goodman R E. 1985. Block Theory and Its Application to Rock Engineering [M]. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall Inc, 295–324.Google Scholar
- Snay R A, Neugebauer H C, Prescott W H. 1991. Horizontal deformation associated with the Loma Prieta earthquake [J]. Bull Seism Soc Amer, 81(5): 1 647–1 659.Google Scholar
- SONG Cheng-hua, XU Cai-jun, LIU Jing-nan, et al. 1998. The determination and analyses of the kinematics model of relative motion between blocks in the Qinghai-Tibet plateau by GPS measurements [J]. Journal of Wuhan Technical University of Surveying and Mapping, 23(1): 22–25 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Tralli M D, Timothy H D. 1988. A few parts in 108 geodetic baseline repeatability in Gulf of California using the Global Positioning System (GPS)[J]. Geophys Res Lett, 15(4): 353–356.Google Scholar
- WANG Qi, LAI Xi-an, YOU Xin-zhao, et al. 1998. GPS monitoring of Honghe faults and tectonic stress field [J]. Crustal Deformation and Earthquake, 18(2): 49–56 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- YAN Geng, DING Fang-ming. 1986. The Basis of Boundary Element Methods [M]. Chongqing: Chongqing University Press, 219 (in Chinese).Google Scholar