Temperature dependency of SnO2/NiO/MWCNT nanocomposite thin film for dye-sensitised solar cells
A series of SnO2/NiO-doped MWCNT heterojunctions were prepared in various process temperatures, and dye-sensitised solar cells (DSSCs) were fabricated with dye N719. All samples were characterised by X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM). Under the irradiation of 100 mW cm−2, the short-circuit photocurrent density (J sc ) and overall conversion efficiency (ɳ) were improved when the aging temperature increased from 30 to 40 °C. Nevertheless, decreasing J sc were revealed when the growth temperature was further increased over 40 °C. In contrast, the conversion efficiency was found to increase gradually when the temperature was further increased over 60 °C. The kinetic parameters of electron transport were investigated using the transient photoelectrical and electrical impedance measurements. The effect of process temperature on electron transport performance in DSSCs was discussed elaborately. The results showed that when the process temperature was in the range of 30 to 40 °C, the electron lifetime (τ) in DSSCs was increased. Conversely, these parameters decreased gradually with further increase in process temperature that influenced the electronic transport performance of DSSCs.
KeywordsSnO2 Nanocomposite Temperature Dye-sensitised solar cells EIS analysis
The authors would like to thank Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia for providing financial support by Project No. UKM-DIP-2016-021 and the Photonic Technology Laboratory, Department of Electrical, Electronics and Systems Engineering, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia for the laboratory facilities.
- 3.Massihi N, Mohammadi MR, Bakhshayesh AM, Abdi-Jalebi M (2013) Controlling electron injection and electron transport of dye-sensitized solar cells aided by incorporating CNTs into a Cr-doped TiO2 photoanode. Electrochim Acta 111:921–929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2013.08.079 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.AbDullAH H, SElMAni S, nOraZiA M, MEnOn P, SHAAri S, Dee C (2011) ZnO:Sn deposition by sol-gel method: effect of annealing on the structural, morphology and optical properties. Sains Malays 40:245–250Google Scholar
- 10.Chen Y, Wang J, Meng X, Zhong Y, Li R, Sun X, Ye S, Knights S (2013) Pt-SnO2/nitrogen-doped CNT hybrid catalysts for proton-exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFC): effects of crystalline and amorphous SnO2 by atomic layer deposition. J Power Sources 238:144–149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.03.093 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zainudin SNF, Markom M, Abdullah H (2014) Structural behavior of Ni-doped TIO2 nanoparticles and its photovoltaic performance on dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC). Adv Mater Res 879:199–205. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.879.199 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Mahalingam S, Abdullah H, Shaari S, Muchtar A, Asshari I (2015) Structural, morphological, and electron transport studies of annealing dependent In2O3 dye-sensitized solar cell. Sci World J 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/403848
- 26.Bisquert J, Garcia-Belmonte G, Fabregat-Santiago F, Ferriols NS, Bogdanoff P, Pereira EC (2000) Doubling exponent models for the analysis of porous film electrodes by impedance. Relaxation of TiO2 nanoporous in aqueous solution. J Phys Chem B 104:2287–2298. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp993148h CrossRefGoogle Scholar