Pseudopestalotiopsis dawaina sp. nov. and Ps. kawthaungina sp. nov.: two new species from Myanmar
- 158 Downloads
Pestalotiopsis sensu lato comprises the genera Pestalotiopsis sensu stricto, Neopestalotiopsis, and Pseudopestalotiopsis, which form a taxonomic group originally called Pestalotiopsis and share a common conidial morph. However, the number of Pseudopestalotiopsis species is significantly lower than that of the other genera. In this study, we isolated two new species of this taxonomic group while performing a survey of Pestalotiopsis sensu lato in Myanmar, a tropical area. We performed molecular phylogenetic analyses of these new species by using a dataset that included sequences of the ribosomal internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region and the β-tubulin and translation elongation factor 1-alpha (tef1) genes and classified two isolates as members of Pseudopestalotiopsis. Phylogenetic trees indicated that each isolate was an independent species. Morphologically, the conidial traits of each of the two strains did not coincide with those of any previously reported species of the Pestalotiopsis sensu lato or Pestalotia genera. Descriptions and illustrations of the new species obtained in this study, Pseudopestalotiopsis dawaina and Ps. kawthaungina, are provided.
KeywordsITS β-tubulin tef1 Phylogenetic analysis Morphological analysis Pestalotiopsis-like
This study was supported by JSPS KAKENHI, Grant Number 25440218 (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research C).
Compliance with ethical standards
All of the experiments performed in this study comply with the current laws of Myanmar and Japan.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- Maharachchikumbura SSN, Guo LD, Cai L, Chukeatirote E, Wu WP, Sun X, Crous PW, Bhat DJ, McKenzie EHC, Bahkali AH, Hyde KD (2012) A multi-locus backbone tree for Pestalotiopsis, with a polyphasic characterization of 14 new species. Fungal Divers 56:95–129. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13225-012-0198-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nei M, Kumar S (2000) Molecular evolution and phylogenetics. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Song Y, Tangthirasunun N, Maharachchikumbura SSN, Jiang Y, Xu J, Hyde KD, Wang Y (2014) Novel Pestalotiopsis species from Thailand point to the rich undiscovered diversity of this chemically creative genus. Cryptogam Mycol 35:139–149. https://doi.org/10.7872/crym.v35.iss2.2014.139 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. Academic press, San Diego, pp 315–322Google Scholar